Team Camaro Tech banner

HEI Wiring for the 12V, Gnd, and Tach ?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RacerX 
#1 ·
I am re-installing the HEI on my engine, and am skeptical of the way it was wired before. Can someone tell for sure what each of the 3 terminals are. Lets assume the terminals on the HEI are on the drivers side of the car. I believe it's 12V, Gnd, and Tach, but which is which. Starting form the pin nearest the fire wall the middle one, and the one nearest the front of the car?

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 03-17-2000).]

#3 ·
I like to think I'm not completely inept, but the first part of your post isn't clear to me...but assuming I have no reference cap to look at, what are you trying to say in the first part? There are 3 pins, all in a row. Aside from the distributer base to cap plug - which is fine, these are the only 3 pins...???

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69

#4 ·
your Reinstalling HEI, then it should be prewired up, but if not here it goes,

the distributer should have a clip on it, that clip will plug into the base of the HEI cap, in the cap there should be a small metal tab that will be the ground, it will run to the center of the 3 pins for the clip. the ground strap is grounded to the distributer internally by the screw that holds the coil onto the cap. that takes care of the ground. now once the distributer is in , and you have plugged in the plug to the distributer cap there should only be 2 left to deal with , on the cap it will say BAT and TACH , if you have a tach this is where it plugs in at, on the BAT side, use a 10 or 12G spade clip on a piece of 12G wire (preferably non stranded wire) that goes to the firewalls resistance wire that comes out near the firewall on the drivers side. (or any wire that is only hot when the key is on. after all is hooked up, start it up.

remembering if you did not set your distributer in correctly on #1 TDC when you marked your cap you could be in for a day of fun repositioning it and remarking all your wires...

I just did my 67 R/S with HEI , you can check out the pics in the engines section on my website, it may shed some more light as to what I just said.

the address is www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr its like th2 2nd and 3rd pic down, I pulled the BAT wire up for you to see (the big thick red one)

Good Luck, hope this helps.

C.E.

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 03-18-2000).]

#5 ·
Before connecting +12V to the HEI, turn the key to IGN, and with a volt meter, verify that you have at least +12V. A ballast resistor or a resistance wire, which will cause a voltage drop of 2.5V or so, should not be used in series with the power on an HEI unit.

#7 ·
Hmmm...after thinking about this voltage measurement- this may have to be done at the +12 connector on the HEI while it is connected (with both +12 and GND.) A voltage divider requires two resistors (such as the ballast resistor and the HEI unit) in series; the voltage drop would be seen between them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.