Team Camaro Tech banner

what's the best 350 junkyard motor

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  VI009DZ 
#1 ·
:thumbsup: what year 350 engine with roler cam ,,would be best to build on a budget,, i plan on new heads ..i want the motor to be non fuel inj..when built,, what manifold ,carb. distribitor. should i use vortech out of truck and can i use the truck 5spd trans,,for 69 camaro project..thanks

#2 ·
pretty much any 350 from 87-98 will get the job done, but only the 96-98 have the good vortec heads. the trucks didn't get roller cams until the vortecs came out for 96- they had flat tappet cams before that, and not all blocks were setup for roller cams.
if you want to run a mechanical fuel pump, then make sure you get one from before 93 or so, and be aware that even if you can mount a mech pump on it, the cam might not have the lobe to run it.
there are some Caprices in 86 and 87 that had a carb and a roller cam- look in cop cars, wagons, and taxi cabs.

#3 ·
novaderrik is pointing you in the right direction here! Personally, I would run a simply electric fuel pump and go with a 96-98 350 engine w/vortec heads. Throw a .500+ cam in and you're on your way to having a 400+ HP motor assuming a decent carb and vortec intake (RPM air-gap).

#6 ·
novaderrik is pointing you in the right direction here! Personally, I would run a simply electric fuel pump and go with a 96-98 350 engine w/vortec heads. Throw a .500+ cam in and you're on your way to having a 400+ HP motor assuming a decent carb and vortec intake (RPM air-gap).
You'll have big trouble in little China if you try to run that cam on stock Vortecs. They'll only support .450" lift (.460" if you want to push it) before they start binding up. There are mods to fix this ranging from dremel tool work, to new springs / retainers.

I bought a 1985 pickup motor for $200, complete from pan to intake including the boat-anchor Quadrajunk with mechanical fuel pump. 4-bolt mains, cast crank and the pistons with 4 valve relielfs. I scored a set of free 1998 Vortec heads, added a 450/450 lift cam, lifters, timing set and got a Performer intake off eBay for Vortecs for $100. All said and done, I'm into a 9:1 - 9.5:1 motor that MIGHT make 300hp, for under $600. I can alsor un 87 octane now.

A motor is just an air pump. Get any semi-tight 350 and put good heads, intake and cam in it and you'll be happy. Just do your homework if you go with Vortec heads.

#5 ·
Get a small bodied HEI or MSD that is small body. Many of us have had to "modify" our firewalls to get a large body HEI to fit. You could also modify a points Distributer with an HEI kit like pertronix or Crane. I would look into a crate engine, if you are starting from scratch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.