Team Camaro Tech banner

327 crank in 350 block want to go back to 350

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  67 Plum 
#1 ·
I bought my 67 ss/rs and it had a 350 in it. I found the person that restored the vehicle and he told me its a 350 4 bolt main block with a 327 crank and such. what would it take to make it back to a 350.
The motor was built wel it has a nice cam (not sure of specs), edelbrock intake double humpped heads with a 650 holley carb.

Id like to know how far down i would need to strip the motor to put the 350 crank and pistons in it and is there any way to do this from th ebottom end or would i have to pull the top end off also.

in other words what "exactly" would have to be done to do this job?

#3 ·
2nd the motion.

Piston/rod assembly would have to come out and pistons pressed off the rods and replaced with 350 pistons due to piston compression height for the longer stroke.

UNLESS, he kept the same piston/rod assembly from the 350 and used them. Very low compression would be the key, piston would be sunk in cylinder by almost 1/8 inch vice 0.025" at TDC. You would be able to view this with a spark plug out, flashlight and an inspection mirror, or borrow a borescope.

#4 ·
If the motor is original to the car, and you are going to be restoring the car back to original, then I'd say do it. Parts for a 350 are about the cheapest engine parts in the world. You can get a complete rotating assembly from Summit for $440.

If the 350 is not the original one in the car, leave well enough alone. $0.02

#7 ·
Without knowing the exact specs it is hard to say.If you are making 1hp / ci. 23 going from 327 to 350.Probably the same for torque.If the current engine is in good shape its not worth the expence and work IMO.

#6 ·
i'd just leave the 327 the way it is- sure, you're giving up a little bit of torque and power, but a 327 will rev a little bit higher and maybe even get a little better fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.