Team Camaro Tech banner

68 Vert stored 21 years

257K views 1K replies 117 participants last post by  NashvilleCat 
#1 ·
No stranger to old cars, drag racing or turning wrenches. Am very active on Team Chevelle. I have been looking for a nice 68 for some time. All the finished cars I've seen are 'not me' in color, finish, options, modifications, ideas of what right looks like....and all are way over priced! 'Project' cars were much abused, apart, money pits, etc. I found this 'TWEENER the other week. Seller listed it as 68 SS Convertible in the ad title yet went on to say 327/automatic.... I sent a pretty blunt note (no number listed or i would have called) and to my surprise, I got a call from the seller a few days later, "Hey smart guy...this is LLLLLLL with the Camaro. Seems you know a lot about these. I called you first..... ......" She got the car in 1980 after HS, her baby. She parked it 21 years ago in her garage.

Needless to say, I got there quick as we could coordinate a date and time. She had already washed most of the "Barn Find" off the car. A deal was made...she wanted a good owner, I guess I qualified. I dragged it home FRI a week ago. Needs at least qtr skins, driver side toe pan and dvr side rear passenger foot metal.

gotta love the paint over bondo

Has the 'born-with' 327/210 "ME" block, though someone swapped on 1964 Power Pack heads. I have not checked the Glide's ID yet. Have found the remains of two mice so far in the front of the car

Interior shot. Has a working Power Top

Diff is 10-bolt with 2.73 (can't find the code but the count the revolutions method used to determine ratio) and posi, posi sticker in the trunk. J Code Rallye Green, 2 for black soft top, with 712 black std interior. Console. Bumperguards on NICE bumpers. Rear mount antenna.

Low quality repaint. POS non-correct 1969-type hockey stick stripe

I traded away the rusty APPLIANCE wheels and tires hard enough to turn a sharp-edged knife for some aftermarket 14" rally wheels and somewhat newer roller tires until something definite is resolved in the wheel and tire department. I am more of a gearhead than a 'numbers' guy. I spent a few hours on it SAT a week ago. Got it running:beers:, will spare you the details unless you really want to know. As it was tail-in the garage, I turned it around SUN to address the brakes, or lack there of. First time under its own power in 21 years. :D Normal 4-wheel drum brakes. Rears were near mint, fronts well done, master cyl shot. I sell auto parts so new MC, 4 wheel cyls, 3 new soft lines, new front drums and shoes. Front stuff is already on this SAT and SUN evenings. After this, complete lube and diff fluid change.

I plan a road test to figure out what's what before deciding what way to go with this. Upon start-up, observed a steady drip from the rear main. Nice crusty residue on the pan shoe this problem existed before the engine was parked. It is not getting any better. Some regular well-used 327 engine sounds lead me to think a basic refreshening is in order. Moderation in my underhood activities will observed. This will be a cruiser. Looking at 'Day 2' looks here. Probable upgrade to 327/4 bbl status. The single exhaust blew a rats nest out as well as lots of metal flakes onto the garage floor. She will get a dual exhaust. We'll see how I like the Glide and 2.73 gears.....she'll be Emily Post polite, everybody else will go first! I want some road time before the rains come in only a few short weeks. Do some major work on the beast this winter.

I like the J Code paint. Wifey is trying to talk me into a white deluxe interior and white top with more chrome and the white later type stripe. I agree, would be a stunner. Probably put some nice tires on my 15x7 Monte Rallys, 215/70s or there about.Maybe other wheels. IF this was a high option car, would dare not change a thing....but as a mostly base vert....thinking tasteful upgrades would add to the looks and value....comments appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
l:):eek: Kevin, my street Elky runs well into the 11s.....so you hit it dead-on. But this will be a cruiser.... Wifey says all my cars get big engines and are ruined. She wants to go for drives, trips and such...the Vert will be perfect IF I keep it sane.... She's pretty tiny so the Camaro is the perfect size. I am thinking the PG may go to the corner of the garage under the bench and yield to a TH350. Or I could 2004R and change the diff ratio or simply bolt in a 8.5" 10-bolt with say 3.55 or 3.73. The OD would knock the effective cruise gearing to 2.40---2.50. This would mean I'd have to be very careful on the cam selection, something that likes good gearing 2.74 1st gear in a 2004R x 3.73 diff in a light car makes for spirited performance...but good response for no surging at low cruise rpm.

Shot of the trunk, looks nice! Surprise, good metal! Cocktail shakers are present too

under the lid

#6 ·
Love that Rally Green! I agree that white top, interior and stripe would really set it off, but the black does not look bad either. To save some money, it probably wouldn't look bad with just a white stripe and top, and leave the interior black. I actually kind of like the old Appliance wheels on it - gives it the old school, day three look to it. A Q-jet with a mild cam, along with an OD tranny and some decent gears will give it some snap, and if you stay out of the secondaries you can knock down some pretty good highway MPG. BTW, I have a 67 with 245-60-15 radials on 15x7 rallies, and they fit pretty good and really fill in the wells nicely.

#10 ·
Wow, 174 view and only a handful of responses/comments. Say something, offer advice or don't even look. Damn lurkers!:popcorn::wacko:
Get on the freight train for a very good time as I blog you to tears on this project.:sad:
We'll get her running as a "MUTT" for now:confused:...enjoy the ride, then turn her into a princess or something sweet over the winter.:D

New shocks and swaybar recommendation please! I sell Monroe at work, anybody got input on them?
Wheel and tire ideas are always accepted...Rallys or ??? Pics always work!

#12 ·
Why not keep it stock configuration and use your Monroe shocks, an aftermarket swaybar, if one is not installed, set of rally wheels or Torque Thrust-D's or solid Centerlines? 225/70-15's?

Later on, fix the qtr panel, repaint to color of your choice, keep the black interior as black goes with anything just like blue jeans, maybe replace the PG with a THM350, keep the rear gear as is, you'll not gonna drag it and you ain't gonna highway travel with it, so why go for a TH200-R4?

It's a daily driver, grocery getter, and a cruiser to turn heads. If the Honda boys come up and try to intimidate ya, just smile and wave back. It ain't worth it to risk it with Johnny Law. However, I do find it hard not to and grit my teeth........

#14 ·
The Dvr qtr damage is an eyesore.... Looks like the wheel arch had some rust damage and a shop long ago did the Bondo and spray repair. Only looks like surface rust on the wheel house...an sure I'll find more damage than I expect, but I want to remain optimistic for the time being. Passenger QP is less damaged but probably more flaws than apparent.

225/70/15s...ok.... the Vert now wears Rallys in 14x6 with some blackwalls. Will shoot some pics next time the wheels are on. These really need some better chrome rings. I do have Monte 15x7

The front sway bar is pencil-thin. I had a 78 Z-28 long ago..good handling rig until I had the 85 Vette with z-51 package and the 315/ZR40/16s...OMG, I discovered handling!

I am not a fan of the "everybody" Cowl Hood, spoiler, and SS Stripes. Played-out like a bad record. No offense intended if you have gone this route, just not me.

I do believe the GLIDE will be retired when the engine comes out for rear main seal repairs. Also perform an eval of the engine. Got the feelers out for some period-correct Camel Hump heads, will sell the Power Packs. The th350 favorable 1st gear will really help the 2.73s. This is my initial thought. I do have a pal with a free 72 8.5" 10-bolt Nova diff....maybe gather parts and such and do all this down the road.

ref Johnny Law...
been hanging out with PDQ67? :yes: heehee?
I make it a point to my young customers and the kids from work to take their racing and such to the Track. We are blessed with Bremerton AND Pacific tracks, both less than an hour drive. The Camaro will be a cruiser...if I feel the need to intimidate, the pale yellow 68 Vette packs a healthy 427 and 4-spd in roughly 3400# package and the street Elky just sounds bad-*** with 11.7 time slips as back up

Nice find, great year, a step up on the revolution car pole:)... guess they're still out there.

Dep upon how deep the pockets are... some good suggestions to date...350 tranny in, quarters, maybe a disc exchange on the fronts...good paint...top looks good?

I'd be tempted to stay with the just front recover...and nothing wrong with the high rear(still can chirp the tires,,,and don't forget to check the code, eh?)...great for cruizin', and with the price of gas today?

Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

capt
I have two other cars with black interior, the 68 Vette and the 70 Elky. While black interior is a good thing, PLAIN JANE, PJ, in a VERT does not make sense...at least to me. Seems like a wasted effort. I did tell wifey, "Carpet kit, 2 door panels, arm rests, and a used dvr seat cover and the interior would be good to go"...think she gagged!:eek: With the gal interested in a George project for a change....financial backing not financial obstruction...thinking best to go where the cash takes me.

The top is in very good shape. Needs some fixing near the passenger rear window, have not investigated. One plan involves upgrade of the interior to white deluxe and keeping the black top for a few years. This plan has merit cost-wise as well as practicality/upkeep of a white top. The car will be garage kept and fair weather though I must say with W WA weather, spring and fall outings I could see some unscheduled showers. White nose stripe to go with the white interior. The black top goes with black carpet found with white interiors and tire colors. There is the decided 'old car smell' present. If the removal of the last of the carpets, clean-up, etc does not rid the vehicle of the smell, if the top still smells...it goes.

#13 ·
Nice find, great year, a step up on the revolution car pole:)... guess they're still out there.

Dep upon how deep the pockets are... some good suggestions to date...350 tranny in, quarters, maybe a disc exchange on the fronts...good paint...top looks good?

I'd be tempted to stay with the just front recover...and nothing wrong with the high rear(still can chirp the tires,,,and don't forget to check the code, eh?)...great for cruizin', and with the price of gas today?

Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

capt

#15 ·
I bought a similar car about 10 years ago, I drove it rust and all for about 5 years. I thought it was going to be an easy restore so to make a long story short Ive replaced the full floor and trunkpan, inner and out wheelhouses, tail panel, quarter panels, door, fenders, ect. Once you get into restoring the vehicle you find rust everywhere. Not only that but when your going to have 4 - 6 years into a restore you dont want any rust anywhere! The only metal I was able to save was the trunk lid and hood!
Good luck, I know I have learned alot and continue to learn from the site.

#17 ·
YUP, thinking along those lines. Was not gonna go crazy on the swaybar..just up a peg or two so it is not mushy.

Markspark,
I hope I do not have to dig as deep as you.....
I am aware GM did not make cars to last forever.

#18 ·
If you already have a set of 14" ralleys, try out the blackwalls and see what the Ol' Girl looks like and go from there. A new set of chrome rings goes a long way.

And if the Wife wants a new interior in white and she's willing to undo the purse strings, go for it. Your life will be easier, I'm sure.

A THM 350 will be a direct replacement, including gearshift, and driveshaft, if THM350 has a 6 inch tailshaft and speedo bullet w/gear, but would have to change tailshaft gear on the THM350 to match. PG torque convetor will not fit as PG input shaft is smaller than a Turbo input shaft. Connect cooling lines while trans is on the floor just before lifting into place. All you need is the intake bracket to hold the kickdown cable, $5 bracket from the dealer. The Nova rear axle will fit. Backing plates will interchange.

Baking soda goes a long way to remove smells. Yes, I knew pdq67 - good guy.

#19 ·
If you already have a set of 14" ralleys, try out the blackwalls and see what the Ol' Girl looks like and go from there. A new set of chrome rings goes a long way.

And if the Wife wants a new interior in white and she's willing to undo the purse strings, go for it. Your life will be easier, I'm sure.

A THM 350 will be a direct replacement, including gearshift, and driveshaft, if THM350 has a 6 inch tailshaft and speedo bullet w/gear, but would have to change tailshaft gear on the THM350 to match. PG torque convetor will not fit as PG input shaft is smaller than a Turbo input shaft. Connect cooling lines while trans is on the floor just before lifting into place. All you need is the intake bracket to hold the kickdown cable, $5 bracket from the dealer. The Nova rear axle will fit. Backing plates will interchange.

Baking soda goes a long way to remove smells. Yes, I knew pdq67 - good guy.
Re th350 swap...counting on it being an easy affair. Just missed a bud selling a runner just weeks ago...cheap too. I do have a spare th350/th400 converter or two lying around. Acknowledged on the baking soda.

Wondering if ol pdq67 is ever gonna build that 496 he always wrote about on Team Chevelle....

#21 · (Edited)
I had to pull the Vette out today for a garage-clean-up. Had some parts-buyers coming over. Here is a shot of the Vert with the 14" Rallys and some blackwalls. Dunno what the trim rings are from....caps are generic re-pop for now.

#25 ·
LOL thats right George, it was a total 1984 car that had not seen the light of day since 86!! pinstripes,huge cragar ss on rear and turbines up front,bizzare huge door mirrors,blue and white house carpet on package trey??
love hearing and seeing barn/garage finds like yours!! I think i enjoy the HUNT for a classic almost as much as owning one!!
good luck with your future work!

#26 ·
OK, working on the brakes again this evening. Observed the dirt-covered Posi warning triangle on the diff fill plug. Have the sticker on the underside of the trunk lid. The question begs to be asked, and answered....Why with 2.73 gears, a Glide, and a weenie 327/210?

With the big family BBQ here today now behind me, more time to play with the Camaro. I must have done 3 pages of Honey Do in preparation wifey's work friends and daughter#2's college roomie were like this when they say the vert.
Five more votes for the Rallye Green. The idea to upgrade to deluxe white also got 5 votes approving.

#28 ·
George,
Nice find! My '67 'vert had the same motor/engine/rear combo as yours. I put a q-jet, performer RPM intake, camelhump heads, mild cam and headers to wake up the motor. Replaced the PG with a 200-4R (bolt in, no driveshaft mods necesary). Not much low end, but she goes like stink on the high end. I still need to change the rear end to bring the power down lower. (I'm hoping Al still has his tucked in his garage when I get back next month, (hint hint) )

#29 ·
My 68 was an original PG, 275 horse car. I have the Canadian docs. When I purchased it, the previous owner had changed it to a Turbo 400 and it still has a four barrel and a mild 327 with camel hump heads. It has the console and horshoe shifter. She runs real well and I had to do the rear rails and turnk area. I had a race car chassis guy do it and it looks factory. The rest of the body had been done and now I have a really nice smooth driving cruiser. I also installed a set of aftermarket discs on it and now I can drive it anywhere. I think if you went with the T350 and left the motor somwhat mild it would be a great fun cruiser. You just don't see many 68 verts at cruise nites. Especially a Rallye Green one. I would love to see that car with the black houndstooth interior, and a nice set of Vintage Wheel Works V45s.
I am partial to Rallye Green because I bought my brand new 69 Camaro Z is was Rallye Green.

#32 · (Edited)
How do I feel about the deal I made?
Pretty happy overall, especially tonight when I finsihed bleeding the brakes, fired it up, backed up the driveway, and went down the block 3x:D:thumbsup::cool: First time on the road in the last 21 years!
Seems I did well on the brakes. Engine could stand some carb tweeks but it is very close. Exhaust diverter moves yet it does not open when hot, will wire that open. The tired exhaust is bumping/banging a bit but overall, pretty quiet and solid despite being a VERT! Pass headllight is missing some screws so it is outa whack. I got most of the lights working.
After the first roll down the street making sure stuff works, went inside to grab wifey. She piled in and we rolled down the street...she was loving it, way far ahead of where she thought I'd be on this. Was 92 today, damn hot for Western WA, so 9pm cruise after dark in warm temps...can't beat that.
OK, you can, but longer trips only after the short trips are done and things are how I want them.

Seems I had wheel well trim at one time, holes in the front fender wheel well lip. None in back, probably covered during the amature hour 'repairs' made there years ago.

After 2 of the laps

All done and put away

#34 ·
Ha! The former owner of my 69 big block car with 4-sp and 3.07 gears kept a log too, and it got about 13 MPG. Shows you the difference between a 327 2-bbl and a 396 with a 4 bbl. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.