Team Camaro Tech banner

Looking at an engine tommorrow. Need opinions

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bcm66 
#1 · (Edited)
Im going to look at an engine tomorrow and wanted to figure out if its worth my time. This was in a 72 Nova tubbed car. Only used at the track. He sold the car and not the engine. The guy that bought the car had a big block he wanted to use so he pulled it and sold it sepperate. Block code 14016379. It also has stub girtles on the rocker studs. Not sure of the crank. I would have to replace the pistons for sure. He's asking 3k, but im not offering anything over 2k if I decide to do it. I'm going to offer him $1500. He is moving real soon. I think he needs the money. I posted this in the other thread trying to figure out what heads it had. I can't find any casting numbers except AFR on the front in a small stamp. The only numbers I found were 2485 on the inside that were raised stamps. They are angled plug. What do you think

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Why would you want to low ball somebody just because they are moving and need money. And just had a heart attack?

Heads might be worth close to 1500. If I had it and you offered me that I would tell you to...:angry:

Well you know...:waving:

Would you want someone to treat you that way?

#5 ·
OK..Sorry I worded it that way. I understand how it sounded... I meant he sold the car and wasnt racing anymore because hes retireing, because he had a heart attack and is moving out of state soon to be with his some. I wouldn't take advantage because of the heart attack. Because hes moving and needs to get rid of it was my main reason for the low ball.

#7 ·
That's the only info I have. I looked at it today and made a final offer of $2100 and he declined. The heads are 220s for sure. Remember I would have to tear it down anyway to change the pistons. Most likely change the cam too. He has a brand new msd dist in a box too. Maybe if I offer $2500 with the dist hell go for it. Seemed pretty firm though.

#9 ·
Why do you have to replace the pistons? Keep in mind after cam
bearings " crazy if you dont replace during tear down " Machine shop labor, oilpump, pistons, gaskits,and what ever else you may need it will prob be a 4K deal.

#10 ·
See sig...350 TWIN TURBO . 12.1 is a NO NO with forced induction. I was quoted 3K using JE blower pistons. Balancing, bearings tear down ect....complete

#12 ·
Unless it's a 13-1 or higher CR you can probably change the cam to something not as wild and yet bleeds off enough cyl pressure so that it can be driven on pump gas or a mix of race gas and pump gas.

#14 · (Edited)
I know it's useless for me NOW. My plan is to break it down and use the heads, rocker arms, crank and rods. Heads alone would cost me $2000 at least. He had them ported with flow numbers, The crank rods are Crower (forged). Going to use them. Intake I could sell($100), Carb,Barry grant I could sell($150) Hamberger oil pan sell($100) He's throwing in a NEW MSD distributer Sell ($200). Block I could sell ($400) Electric waster pump Sell sell ($125) Valve covers sell($125)So far thats ($1050) . I got the motor for $2800 so - $1050 thats $1750 for 220 AFR worked heads, Roller rockers, Forged crank and rods. I'll have the crank and rods balanced and prepped. Maybe sell the heads for $1200 and buy new 195AFRs for $1500. A new Dart Block cost $1400. Any machine show wants at least that to prep the existing block anyway. So might as well buy a new block. I have a plan and in no rush...:D

#15 ·
Sorry abou the question about the pistons,your "sig" says twin turbo, but that does not mean that is what you are going to do with the engine in question, not stated .That is why I askd. I wishyou luck on sellig all of the parts for he prices you listed. Four bolt 010 vrgen blocks are selling for $150.00 here in Virginia.

#16 ·
Well..did a lot of thinking last night. Im gonna call him today and pass. Too much I don't know about it. Mainly how the internals look, bearings, main caps and what kind of crank. I know he wont pull the pan so it looks like im saving up for all new again.:yes:

#17 ·
That is not all bad. This way you can build it EXACTLY like you want it.

Start looking for deals on parts and if you take your time you might come out ahead in the long run anyway.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.