Team Camaro Tech banner

Best Engine Rebuild kit for 94 z28 camaro LT1 ???

19K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  94z28camaroTN 
#1 ·
I just got a 1994 camaro Z28, Im looking to rebuild the engine with forged internals they dont have to be the top of the line but something descent, anybody know of a engine rebuild kit that has forged internals w/o a camshaft ???

#4 ·
If you really want to build the motor I would buy a Eagle rotating assembly for it. Reasonably priced and will handle it. I'll be honest with you for the hassle of building a motor and the money you end up spending it is just easier to buy a crate motor from chevy. It ends up costing about the same and there is alot less hassel. Plus it is BRAND NEW!!!

#6 ·
how about a tuneup first and foremost"
plugs, wires, cap and rotor. throw new fuel filter on it, and run some Marvel Mystery oil thru the fuel system to plush things out. the stuff is cheap and it does work.
then, once you get it running as good as it can in stock form, then start with a good cat back exhaust kit- i know the Flowmaster kit goes in easily and really wakes it up- then work up to a high flow cat (or just get rid of it altogether if you don't have smog checks where you live) and headers.
next would come a cold air kit.
now that you've got it all set up to support twice as much power as you are making stock, then you can start doing things inside the motor.if you want to supercharge it, then by all means pull it out and put a forged rotating assembly in it along with a bigger cam and heads.
the main thing, tho, is to do one thing at a time and learn as you go. the easiest way to give up on a car is to try to do too much at once.

#8 ·
Well i had a 94 lt1 and i tuned it, then put some edelbrock ceramic coated headers, they came with the Y-pipe you need and the 3" to the back where it split, i did a cold air kit, personally i would get a lt4 intake, then save money and wait till you can go through the entire engine&tranny, opening up the exhaust and letting it breath really made a great improvement.

#9 ·
The best bang for the buck on those cars is long tube style headers. Pacesetter happens to make the least expensive set. Get the regular uncoated ones and you will be happy. If you don't have a lot of cash, the coating makes little sense if going fast is the primary concern. You will see upwards of 25rwhp from the headers alone. Second on the list would be a cold air intake. Moroso, K&N, SLP etc. They are all about the same. Third would be to get a tune from someone like pcmforless.com or madz28. With the above items, you should be close to what an LS1 is stock.

#11 · (Edited)
also if i wanted to have cut outs before the cat what would i do with the O2 sensors ? i know the fronts determine th A/F ratio im not complete sure how i would do that any ideas ? because i have emissions here and as long as its legal during the testing its fine :) also is it worth buying the cermatic coated headers vs the non coated ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.