Team Camaro Tech banner

Lt1 to carb conversion, need help

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  j2cool2000 
#1 ·
hello just wanted to say hi, new to the board, lots of great info in here.i have a question is someone can help me out i have a 1995-1996 Lt1 350 im pretty sure i bought from a guy as a long block, less intake and distributer etc.i know it is set up for fuel injected but i would like to make it into a carburater set up is this possible and has anyone else did this with good outcome?also any good machine shop in the dallas area thanks

#2 ·
welcome aboard
you can get an intake from GM to put a carb on it(expensive), and any old HEI distributor will fit. you can either just leave the stock optispark unit on the front of the engine, or make a blockoff plate for it. you will need an electric fuel pump, and the LT1 accessory mounting brackets.
other than that stuff,and the usual million little things that pop up, it is a bolt in.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

#4 ·
when i say the intake is expensive, i mean that it is about $300 or so. that seems like a lot to me, but if you intend on keeping this for a while, it might not be too bad of an investment. but it would be cheaper and easier to put an older style engine in it.

------------------

#5 ·
A guy at work was asking this question today. He bought a "test" engine that codes out to a '95 LT1. He has just the long block. Supposedly these engines were used for a lube oil test and 50-100 of them are now being sold. After looking at the cost to convert he is now having second thoughts.

#7 ·
if you put a carb intake on it, you can run an HEI distributor- you just take out the oil pump drive from the lifter valley- it looks like a dummy distributor shaft that had the top chopped off. once you get the intake on it and the HEI in it, it will look like any other small block, but have no water crossover on the intake, because that is on the water pump housing.
GM used to sell the LT4 as a crate motor with a carb intake and ZZ4 HEI distributor included. they put one of those engines in a Chevelle in Chevy High Performance a few years back.

------------------

#8 ·
Yes, look at the tests in the CHP. I think there´s a lot of information for the carburated version.
The engine itself has a lot of high quality parts so I won´t do any exchange.
For my part I would prefer to look for the EFI unit.
Markus

------------------
69`Camaro, 92`LT 1 / 4L60

#9 ·
hey novaderrick thanks for the posr reply sounds like a task to change things over still debating if i should just sell this motor and go with one older. hey how about the radiator will i have to use one from a =n lt1 since the coolent is reverse flow.alos do any of you guys know where i can get so used parts for the lt1 like dampener,external brakets for altenantor,etc.? thanks guys

#10 ·
there are a lot of places that salvage LT1, LT4 and LS1 motors. Do a quick search on Google or one of those search engines and you'll find a lot of resources. Ebay usually has a lot of LT1 parts for auction, too.

Oh and as a warning, those outer brackets you mentioned are expensive. Look in Chevy High Performance or Car Craft. There's usually a few different ads in there for custom LT1 bracket kits.

[This message has been edited by Igot2'72's (edited 02-02-2002).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.