Team Camaro Tech banner

Best carb combo for 396 big block

22K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
I have a 68 camaro with 396 block, and am replacing a Torker 2-O (with a Holley double pumper- size unknown) with a new Edelbrock performer manifold. I am guessing the Holley is a square bore carb...so any suggestions for the best replacement would be great! I have a 3.55 rear gear to install- not sure what's in the engine!...roller lifters and cam I think (huge Edelbrock valve covers!) oval port heads...and I want it as a quick street car, so streetable is the goal.
Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Lol

#3 ·
That's great...I didn't know I could use that carb on the new manifold without a conversion plate. Thanks so much for the info.

#5 ·
I don't know what hp your 396 is so don't know if it is a 10.25 or an 11 to 1 CR. motor or not??

BUT the great old 750 cfm, Holley 3310 carb. was made for a stock 11 to 1 CR., 375hp/396 motor!!

I bet it and an RPM intake would do you nicely AND I AM a Q-Jet guy!!

pdq67

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice...I was going to try out the Holley double pumper (carbs are expensive to get hold of in the UK!)...but if gas consumption is outrageous I guess I should go for a carb with vac secondries?
The car runs on unleaded pump gas, so I'm guessing compression ratio must be lower than 10 to 1.
Would I need to get a specific q-jet for this?...the guy who is doing the work is a Pontiac man..has spare q-jets taken from Trans ams/ firebirds etc- would they be useable?

#8 ·
Yes, I figure a Q-Jet off either a 350 or 400 Pontiac motor should do nicely..

But I also igure that you will need to make sure that the top butterfly's tip in the way you want them as well as check and see if it opens 100 percent on the back barrels b/c the early 'Bird carb's didn't b/cthey didn't want the 'Birds motor making the same power as the Leader GTO!!

pdq67

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.