Team Camaro Tech banner

SBC Aluminum cylinder head recommendation!

9K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Chad Speier 
#1 ·
Hello,

It's time for me to start upgrading my engine in my Camaro since I have the tranny and brakes all figured out. For starters this year I want to just upgrade the top end of the 355 that is currently in the car. Previous owner states its a 355 with forged internals and a hydraulic flat tappet cam. The current heads are 462 or 492 corvette heads that I will pull off and sell. I want to upgrade to a hydraulic roller and aluminum heads and a performer rpm manifold.

The car has a new TKO600 and 4:10 gears with a 26" tall tire. I want more power but maintain drivability. But I like drag racing too. My last two camaros ran 11.90's small block and 10.90's 540. So I like it to be fast.

I have used Dart Pro1's in the past on a 383 with a hydraulic roller around .535/.545 lift and that car ran great. I was hoping to try a different cylinder head this time.

What recommendations do you guys have for strong 355 with the potential of a bigger short block next year? Are RHS heads any good?

Thanks, Erik

See less See more
#2 ·
RHS makes excellent castings.

I would contact Chad Speier at Speier Racing heads in Hays, KS....he has lots of different options that will be right up your alley.

#6 ·
Several options exist for decent 23* heads that would work on your combo. Some mentioned above. RHS, AFR, Dart, Brodix, AllPro, etc. any of these manufacturers have out of the box heads that will work fine for your stated goal.

As an example, 7-8 years ago my 3310 lb Camaro went 11.20's all day with a set of old iron Crane Fireball heads on a junker 408. Remember those old things? LOL. My point is, don't over think it, just get a head and valve train that will compliment your cam profile and performance objectives.

Have fun.

#9 ·
Some mentioned above. RHS, AFR, Dart, Brodix, AllPro, etc. any of these manufacturers have out of the box heads that will work fine for your stated goal.

My point is, don't over think it, just get a head and valve train that will compliment your cam profile and performance objectives.
My setup is with Brodix heads right out of the box, no porting etc. I could have spent $$ for head work, but why for a 99.9999999% street driven car?

#7 ·
I like the sound of owning a set of AFR heads but I will look at all my options. I need to pick out cam as well. Like I said previously, I have used a Bullet camshaft before and the motor was pretty strong. I think the specs were something like 232/242 @ 050 and 535/545 lift, hydraulic roller. The car ran 11.90's in all stock trim and no traction bars or anything. I ned to start piecing the whole package together and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the replies,

Erik

#8 ·
.gearhead.

Your car is looking amazing! I almost bought that car a few years ago before you bought it. I think it was from Indiana or Illinois when it was for sale, maybe western Ohio. Anyways, your doing a great job with it. Do you have any SBC parts for sale at all?

Thanks, Erik

#16 ·
Thanks Erik. Yes, I bought it from a guy in Sandusky, Ohio about 7 years ago. 5 different combos in 7 years... I got rid of most of the parts I had, but still have some odds 'n ends. Some things like cams, pushrods, crossmember, master, and other miscellaneous performance stuff. Let me know if there's something specific.

Have fun.

#11 ·
another head to consider is the TFS 200cc
202/160, with mild clean up they will make good power
a girly roller around 230s/240s with 1.6 rockers around 600 lift and good springs will make around 500hp

#12 ·
67RS502,

Girly cam huh? Can you suggest something more manly that is street friendly? I am looking for a package deal if possible.

Thanks, Erik

#13 ·
naaaw
hydraulic roller = girly roller:D
thats just what we call 'em
thats all I run - girly rollers on pumpgas rock!
thats why I suggested what I did, it would make good power be streetable and make decent power.

#15 ·
Erik: I have a set of AFR 195 heads on the ZZ430 clone I orignally built for my first '67 Camaro but is now going in to my '55 Bel Air, and with the GM Hot Cam it should be in the same 430hp/400ft.lbs range that GM had with their 430. However, CHP did a 383 build using the RHS 180 cc heads, with 64cc combustion chambers that put our really solid numbers, so I went with these heads for the 327 that I had rebuilt for my second '67 Camaro. I was very impressed with the quality of the machine work and preparation on the assembled RHS heads. If you can swing the AFR heads then I think both are a great improvement to a small block Chevy.

#17 ·
gearhead,

I am just trying to put together a top end and cam package for my 355. I need heads, intake and cam and lifters. I want to go with a hydraulic roller, have any for sale? I am leaning toward the 195cc profiler heads from Chad Speier. And maybe a 240/250 cam with about .550/560 lift. I want to be able to use these parts when I build a new short block next winner and bump up to a 400+ ci motor.

Thoughts on this combo?

Thanks, Erik

#19 ·
gearhead,

I am just trying to put together a top end and cam package for my 355. I need heads, intake and cam and lifters. I want to go with a hydraulic roller, have any for sale? I am leaning toward the 195cc profiler heads from Chad Speier. And maybe a 240/250 cam with about .550/560 lift. I want to be able to use these parts when I build a new short block next winner and bump up to a 400+ ci motor.

Thoughts on this combo?

Thanks, Erik
if you plan on 400 cubes get bigger heads
duration for 400 cubes is ok, but need more lift

#18 ·
I would call Crower and speak to Dave Crower about my cam.

He will want to know every other variable, head flow numbers from .100-.700 are the most critical piece of information according to him.
Please note that any information with regards to gear ratios, tire height, weight, etc will help him design the optimum cam for your application.

#25 ·
Find an as cast head as smooth and flash free as a ported head. Canfields were that way.

The best street and bracket race head. Unbeatable flow up to .600" flow.

Who cares what .800" flow is when your cam lifts to .550 max!!

#26 ·
Find an as cast head as smooth and flash free as a ported head. Canfields were that way.

The best street and bracket race head. Unbeatable flow up to .600" flow.

Who cares what .800" flow is when your cam lifts to .550 max!!
ME! That is a myth and really needs put to bed. A running engine sees up to 150" of pressure drop. If your cylinder head is done at .600 at 28", what do you think it's doing on a live engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.