Team Camaro Tech banner

Broken speedo needle

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Unreal 
#1 ·
My speedo had been squeaking for a little while. I removed cable from back of speedo and re-inserted. Squeaking had stopped after that. Day before yesterday it started squeaking loudly and needle started bouncing all over the place. I was going to unhook it, but I didn't. This evening I thought I would go for a drive, everything seemed fine till about 10 min from my house. All of a sudden it started squeaking very loudly, the needle was pegging out and bouncing, the next time I looked down, the needle had broken off:sad:

I did search and from what I was able to find, it looks like I will be replacing the whole speedo, right? The car is documented(on title, if this matters) with under 50,000 miles. If I change out speedo, how will this effect the mileage aspect?:confused: Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
You have a couple choices. Send it out for repair or buy a used or repop.

The odometer is easy to take loose and set the wheels to whatever reading you want.

I would take a picture of it before and after you replace/repair it.

Dang and I just sold a used one in perfect condition on Ebay.

Here's one I'd jump on. It's all the way up to $5.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-69-CHE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abe4925d3&vxp=mtr

#6 ·
I would send it out first to be repaired before doing anything about procuring a replacement. Look for a local shop or search here as there have been many threads on speedometer and tachometer restoration shops. http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp is a great shop to use.

Lube the cable since most of the time this is the cause of squeaks and bouncing. The shop will restore and lube the speedo gears.

#7 ·
Suggest you go to the search bar and type in Deluxe Speedometer and Radio, in Denver, Colorado,,I have done business with John for years, and his shop does great work and trusted repairs, resonable prices,, When Deluxe Speedometer site comes up, it shows several by this name across the Country, make sure to get the one in Denver, Colorado, It is a Family owned business, and they have done this type work for a very ling time. Plus they have in house shipping and receiving, quick turn around. John Rullo did the repair work on the speedometer in my 68 Camaro Coupe, it is still working fine, and spot on with the speed and mileage. With your squeking and bouncing, would bet the cable was the problem, and either needed to be greased or replaced. Mine did the same thing, and John checked out every thing, and sent me a new speedo cable, installed it and yes that corrected the problem, and he can also set or reset the mileage that you need...........Good Luck,,,,,They are open Monday thru Friday and are on Mountain Time, closed Sat, Sunday and Holiday's....Great shop to do business with.......check out deluxe speedometer.com Max in Las Vegas, NV Team Camaro Gold Lifetime Member.................He may be able to replace the broken needle as well, tell John your situation, and sure he will do his best to help you, he is a Car Guy as well...................

#8 ·
If you send me a private message, I can give you the contact information, phone number, email, etc...You may have a speedo shop in your area that you use, but do they do great, trusted work, John will tell you what he recommeds, and he will not B.S. you, You could ship him your speedo by USPS and he would have it in about 3 days............

#9 ·
Hey guys. Sorry so long getting back. Thank you for all the recommendations, links and information. If time permits, I plan to remove the speedo this weekend. So any helpful tips or tricks to save some time(and money, not breaking anything else:noway:) would be appreciated.

bigbuckcity, sending you a pm.

Everyone have a great weekend, turkey day is just around the corner:hurray: :beers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.