Team Camaro Tech banner

Engine Stamp - VIN

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bcm66 
#1 ·
I spent some time going over the "decoding" process of my camaro last night...which is just a run of the mill 1969 with a stock 350 in it. The motor does not match as casting number and engine code stamp indicate it is a 350 from 1973 or 1974....that being said, I cant find the engine VIN stamp anywhere?

The engine code is stamped on the front of passenger side header, somewhat hidden by the altenator. After some research it seems that usually the engine code and engine VIN were stamped in the same place, but this isnt the case....any ideas? I have checked down by the oil filer, but sight of it anywhere

Thanks,

#2 ·
What is the information that you can see stamped on the "pad" in front of the passenger side cylinder head?

If it is a 73 or 74 engine as you say and it was installed in a vehicle, then it should have a partial VIN there. You might need to move the alternator to see it and clean the pad off with paint remover.

#4 ·
OK, well I guess there must not be one. But that is not normal from what I have seen.

Any way you can check the casting date? It will be hard to see, but it is back on the bellhousing flange area behind the distributor.

That casting number was used through the 70s and that CKB application code was used for the 350 in several years in some cars (Chevelle, Nova, Camaro). Could be 72, 73, 74 or 77.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.