GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

Old Apr 22nd, 13, 03:47 PM

Chris

Default 68 Convertible Windshield frame question

I'm restoring a well worn convertible and I have a weird issue that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. When we pulled the windshield out we found 1) a jagged hole and 2) a very pronounced bump/buldge right in the top center of the windshield frame. I've restored lots of other Chevy's but this is my first convertible. I've never seen a hole or bump like this in a window frame. The hole doesn't appear to be a rust hole, though it is jagged. The bump is very stout and will not succumb to repeated hammer blows attempting to flatten it out.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attachment 33319

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	33320

Last edited by speeedracer62; May 5th, 13 at 04:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 13, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech

mike

Default Re: 68 Convertible Windshield frame question

It might be a bullet hole.
Old Apr 23rd, 13, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
It might be a bullet hole.
Wow, must have been one hell of a gun! I have to wonder if someone mounted some kind of CB radio antenna at some point in the past, and then later on when it was removed, they just replaced the moldings over it. Was there any sign of damage to the trim that you removed? Original header moldings?

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Old Apr 23rd, 13, 12:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeedracer62 View Post
I'm restoring a well worn convertible and I have a weird issue that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. When we pulled the windshield out we found 1) a jagged hole and 2) a very pronounced bump/buldge right in the top center of the windshield frame. I've restored lots of other Chevy's but this is my first convertible. I've never seen a hole or bump like this in a window frame. The hole doesn't appear to be a rust hole, though it is jagged. The bump is very stout and will not succumb to repeated hammer blows attempting to flatten it out.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attachment 33319

Attachment 33320
After looking at the pictures again, I have to wonder if the car was in some kind of accident that bent the frame, and the hold is left over from when they pulled it back into position. The bulge on the right side of the hole looks like it was from some kind of hook pulling on it. Did the top fit the windshield frame properly? Any sign of additional collision damage to the car?

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Old Apr 23rd, 13, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Rick

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]I hope these pictures help. There are several bulges in the frame and also a small hole. maybe the hole rusted out to the large size it is now. I won't be back to my shop until Friday. If you need some close up pics I can get them then. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield frame.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	33345   Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield frame 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	33346  
Old Apr 23rd, 13, 08:22 PM

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
Wow, must have been one hell of a gun! I have to wonder if someone mounted some kind of CB radio antenna at some point in the past, and then later on when it was removed, they just replaced the moldings over it. Was there any sign of damage to the trim that you removed? Original header moldings?
Tom, the moldings looked nice and were not mangled in any way. I believe that the top header moldings were never removed, but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
After looking at the pictures again, I have to wonder if the car was in some kind of accident that bent the frame, and the hold is left over from when they pulled it back into position. The bulge on the right side of the hole looks like it was from some kind of hook pulling on it. Did the top fit the windshield frame properly? Any sign of additional collision damage to the car?
The guy at the body shop had the same idea as you Tom. He knew of a pulling hook that would need a hole that big and might leave a dent like that. But if they went to that extreme, don't you think they would of fixed it? Yes, the top fit just fine and the windshield sat in there correctly.
Old Apr 23rd, 13, 08:25 PM

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by othal View Post
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]I hope these pictures help. There are several bulges in the frame and also a small hole. maybe the hole rusted out to the large size it is now. I won't be back to my shop until Friday. If you need some close up pics I can get them then. Let me know.
Rick, if you don't mind, I would love to see some up close photos of yours. It does appear that you have 2 of those bumps in the top middle section of your frame too. I'd appreciate your effort and time.
Old Apr 25th, 13, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Patrick

The photos below are from a 1969 Firebird convertible. I sandblasted the windshield frame and painted it. I did not see any holes in the area described.

Old May 5th, 13, 03:58 AM

Chris

Patrick, thank you very much for the detailed pics. It appears that my car should of had a second "bump" where my hole was. I wonder if these "bumps" are meant to help locate the windshield? I don't believe that coupes have these "bumps" so I really don't know. Anybody got any ideas? In the mean time I had the hole cleaned out and welded up for paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement