Team Camaro Tech banner

Exhaust system for sb350 67 camaro

13K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  flowmann 
#1 ·
i have a 67 camaro with a pretty stock sb350 with a mild cam...hooker headers, what's a good exhaust system to go with??? I was just gonna run straight pipes but i heard i'd loose a lot of backpressure...i want the car to have a deep loud sound to it. i was gonna go with the traditional flowmaster 40 series but i kind of am curious to hear another exhaust system...what do you guys think of the pypes exhaust systems??? i was thinking about the 2.5" x-pype system with the race pro mufflers...what exhaust system do you guys recomend PYPES PERFORMANCE EXHAUST

#2 ·
I bought a 2.5 inch exhaust kit from Summit racing I think it was 175. It came with all the stuff, bolts, hangers, two mufflers, only thing I had to buy was the header adapters and gaskets. It went into place and it fit great. Sounds alright. Maybe not what you are looking for, but for the money I thought it was a good deal..
Jess

#3 ·
I am hopefully instalkling the same pypes systemt this weekend (street pro mufflers, though)...I'lllet you know!

I currently run 3 inch pipes into 40 series flowmasters, and am extremely disappointed...it is loud for the sak eof loud, and lacks any "tone" to it...which is why I am making the change...

#4 ·
scratch that...I do have hte exhaust, but after some happenings, I need a new motor...I suppose I'll wait until the motor is rebuilt before I hook up the exhaust!

#6 ·
yeah...i'm going for a loud sounding exhaust with good tone...i've had flowmasters in the past and...they seem too quiet!!! has anybody out there tried the PYPES exhaust systems??? and what versions...i'd really like to get the violator, street pro or race muffler...but i wanna make sure its gonna be a good choice...

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with you on regular 40 series flowmaster mufflers. They were too quiet for me as well. So I replaced them with one chambers.

On your setup, 2.5" with a x-pipe and dump them at the rear axle and I think you'll be happy with tone and volume level. I have flowmaster brand one chambers on my car, but I think that IMCO makes a cheaper version of it for around 35-40 bucks. I've heard them on several cars(my friend has an exhaust shop) and there was no difference in the sound. That could save you a few bucks.

Something slightly less agressive would be the super 40s. They sound great as well, but the case size is larger than a regular 40 series. They have deeper sound to them than the regular 40 series.

One chamber flowmaster's aren't quiet. :D Very aggressive tone.

idling

View Video on FQuick

gradually rolling into it a few times.

Its not a sbc, but a friend of mine had 1 3/4" long tubes, 3" dumped exhaust with a x-pipe and sweet thunder chambered mufflers on his LS1 Trans am which had a heads/cam upgrade. It was one of the best sounding gen III small block cars I've heard.

#10 ·
I also went with the Flowmaster 17129 kit. I think it sounds awsome. The collectors are kinda cheap so my exhaust guy used some nicer ones instead. I did a search on Amazon and only paid $325 with shipping. The sound is a bit on the "loud" side however my interior still needs to be installed. I love it!

#11 ·
thanks for all the info Andy!!! i think i'll go with 2.5" piping with an X-pipe with the Flowmaster one chamber race mufflers...one question though...will that give me enough backpressure that i need??? as i stated before..i was planning to just run straight pipes out of the headers but my exhaust shop said i'd loose a lot of backpressure...so my question is...what is backpressure and why do i need it??? and...will the one chamber flowmaster race mufflers give me the backpressure i need?

#16 · (Edited)
Sorry for not replying to this earlier, as I did not see it. You will be happy with a 2.5" setup with an x-pipe and these mufflers. The 2.5" pipe will help keep the exhaust velocity up and the x-pipe will help scavenge the exhaust(basically helps pull the exhaust out of the cylinders). Resistance to air flow is something you don't want, (backpressure). I think what most shops mean when they are talking about back pressure is that the pipes need to be sized accordingly to so that the exhaust velocity is optimized for your engine application.

#12 ·
Finally got the Pypes system installed...sounds nice--good manners (nice rumble) at idle, and an awesome growl on acceleration...

Not just plain loud for loud's sake like th eflowmasters were...

I am running a 2.5 header back X pype w/ street pro mufflers...dumps behind the rear axles...

#15 ·
Greetings from Arizona
I have 69 droptop with 2.5 pipes with single Flowmaster
40 behind rear diff in stock position. Don't like mufflers hanging low
in front of diff. Exits out rear... I'm happy with system but is little loud
inside car when driving...no cell phone calls in car at 65 +.
Has anyone tried Flowmasters new line of "Hushpower" ?
Might try those in 68 Chevelle or on 66 SS Chevyll !
Jay and Bj

#17 ·
A couple of thoughts - from a Flowmaster guy trying to cover all the bases. If they are too loud - go with a 50 series - they sound like a classic muscle car should sound. If they are too quiet - try the Super 44's or an original 40. Installing an H-pipe will change the sound too (softer) and if you are just going to the rear axle and dumping them down, it's going to drone and echo off the pavement. A full 2.5-inch tailpipe out the back can make all the difference. One key suggestion - without naming names - if you want the system to fit and do the install in your driveway, buy the Flowmaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.