Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Seatbacks and headrests

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bertfam 
#1 ·
I know that headrests went from straight to bent early in the 1969 model year, but can anyone tell me if there were changes to the seatbacks at the same time or if they remained the same through the model year? Thanks

#4 ·
In particular, I was refering to the top of the seatbacks. The older straight headrests seem to push down to fit squarely against the top of the seat, but the bent ones I have seen don't seem to fit against the seat as well. I'm not sure if that is normal or if I'm looking at older seats with newer bent post headrests. Thanks

#6 ·
I just had my 69 std seats out , converting to TMI deluxe. I have the angled head rests so they go directly down into the seat but still has a slight tilt forward. Is this what you are asking?

I have an early 12A car from Nov 68.

Attachments

#7 ·
I know what Matt is talking about, but I do not have an answer. I have both angled and straight headrest seats. If you try to put an angled headrest into a straight seat, it does not fit correctly and visa-versa. Its close, but they do not go down into the escutchion properly. I have taken off both the escutchion and lower plates from the seats, but could not really see the issue. But there is one! :)

I am talking about original factory seats. I have no knowledge on how the repro ones are with this.

#10 ·
I know what Matt is talking about, but I do not have an answer. I have both angled and straight headrest seats. If you try to put an angled headrest into a straight seat, it does not fit correctly and visa-versa. Its close, but they do not go down into the escutchion properly. I have taken off both the escutchion and lower plates from the seats, but could not really see the issue. But there is one! :)

I am talking about original factory seats. I have no knowledge on how the repro ones are with this.
Would you agree it's only the curved bar headrest that doesn't fit the contour of the seat when in the down position ??:)

Straight bar was changed to curved bar for safety reasons during the 69 production run, around Nov/Dec 68. Nothing else in the seat was changed.

Actually imo, to be most effective against whiplash, the headrest should be be in the up position. The difference in contour isn't nearly as noticable, as shown in Fred's pics. :)

#8 ·
I am not sure if this helps or not but here are a couple of shots of my seats. I have the curved bar headrest. The seats have been recovered, not sure if the material over the headrest was also recovered but I'm almost positive the seat frames and headrests are original.

Attachments

#9 ·
Here's a couple of dusty one's. The pictures, not the seats. The seats are original. If I find some better shots in the next few minutes I'll stick them up here but if these don't help I'll go out to the garage and snap somemore. Say the word.:yes:

Attachments

#12 ·
OK, hot off the presses. They follow the seat closely.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.