Team Camaro Tech banner

ZL-1 Car #66 Engine For Sale

24K views 83 replies 26 participants last post by  RPOZ11 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Actually ... it 'may' actually be the "real" engine from #66 - until it is carefully checked and documented that will not be know.

IIRC - from the years this vehicle and it's drivetrain has been discussed;
The privately owned #66 vehicle presently has a replacement engine in it that is not the 'born-with' unit.
The original engine was "destroyed" early in the vehicles history and numerous other engines have/may have been installed along the way until it was returned to a 'Numbers' car later in it's life.
And while the car is currently represented as 'Numbers' - it is not represented as having it's 'Born-With' engine, just a 'correct' engine ...

Sooooo .... :confused:

I'll let others that are better versed in these particular models and this particular vehicle fill in and correct any of the above :thumbsup:

#12 ·
First thing I want to make clear I am a member of this site and the OWNER OF THE #66 ZL1 engine in question. I have sat back long enough watching some critics trying to discredit my motor. I had auction in 2008 and I know 1/2 of you guys were here and so was motor vehicle checking numbers looking at engine that was auction for sale. This engine was never blown up and is the original motor from car # 66. You are more than welcome to come in an inspect engine with FBI, motor vehicle, and state police anyone you want to inspect this motor. I am not here to ruffle anyone's feathers I am retiring and selling my whole collection!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
Mike - please clear something up... In 2006 the same old story was being told on another forum board by a guy named Bill, who was then selling it on ebay, are you the same person? If not how did you come by this engine? How long have you had it? What happened to separate the car and the engine?

#16 ·
Yes, We are the same people selling this motor and rear. The motor and rear are the only items I am selling. I do not wish to discuss any other info about the car at this present time!!!!!!! You are more than welcome to come and see motor and rear at anytime. Your eyes will not lie to you. Thank You:yes:

#19 ·
John, I read most of that yenko.net thread you linked, and between this thread and that one, and the different names... I think I can't begin to understand what is actually happening here.

I don't roll in that price range anyway, but my 30-plus year love for 1st gens and my engineering background/genes made me want to try to do some kind of graph or Venn diagram for the whole situation.

If the engine is real, my question is the same as so, so many over in the yenko.net thread: why in the heck would not the owner of the 69 with that VIN (if it is 66; that I will take y'alls word for because I am not going to try to find my copy of the ZL1 VINs) NOT want to buy this engine, provided NDI shows it to be usable. I mean, the "correct" engine in #66 would be worth something to someone.

To have this drug out over more than half a decade so far, and just have it occasionally pop up when this engine shows up... it's like a soap opera. Maybe the next reality show on Velocity??

#20 ·
Senario:
The new owner of the 66 car was told that the original motor was blown up and the engine now in the car is a period correct motor because that is what the dealer/seller was led to believe. No knowing that the engine was actually not blown and being stored with the rear end at the one of the original car owners (Bill) place on the East Coast.

The current car owner doesn't believe that the original 66 motor exists and will not fall for a scam...as its thought to be. So..bottom line is that car 66 isn't a complete car without the original motor and nobody believes that the motor for sale is the original 66 engine ! `

Kev

#25 ·
Unless Billy-Mike and possibly the owner of car #66 come clean on what the true story is behind what happen everything is just speculation. I agree with what Charley Lillard said in his post #218730 at the Yenko site.

Until then #66 (all it needs is another 6, devils #) will always be in question to those that really care.

#26 ·
Not sure I understand the 'time line' here,,,, but,,,,, a REAL ZL1 was auctioned off about 5 years ago by Barrett-Jackson. Price? $1,200,000. That's a million two. Why would the real car and engine still remain separated????

#27 ·
I have no idea if it even ties in but my brother's real close friend had a ZL-1 stolen from him in late '70's early '80's. It was never seen again. I wonder if any parts of his car will ever show up like this? I'm not saying this motor is stolen or anything like that but I do know all you need is a piece of paper for a bill of sale for these old cars.

#28 ·
All I can say is is if the motor in real it needs to have some kind of paperwork,bill of sale, list and contact of of previous owners. Without that the motor is just an aluminum 427 motor and that's all. When you are talking this much money and, more than that a ZL1 Camaro, the paperwork must be in order as a minimum. Th ZL1 is pretty much the Holy Grail of muscle cars and the paperwork proving it's real is more important that saying it is real ZL1 motor or car. Bottom line, there were only 69 ZL1s made for drag racing and after 43 years, any verifiable cars or motors left need to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. And the motor was always the first thing to "go".

#29 ·
the motor is just an aluminum 427 motor and that's all.
That's the point; nobody is going to pay $40k for an original ZL-1 engine, unless they own the car it belongs in, and the link between car and engine can be proven beyond doubt by documentation. That's why the motivation of the seller listing it on eBay is raising questions, especially if the whereabouts and ownership of the #66 car are known.

#30 ·
There has to be a someone in the camaro community that is well respected and might be near the engine in question. The owner has invited anyone over and to bring any expert they would like along to inspect. If indeed the engine is correct and proven to be the original engine I think 40k is not a bad price at all!

Hell it's costing me 12-15k just to build a aftermarket aluminum motor and that is with my buddy assembling it!
Jmho!

#33 ·
The thing is that $40K could be worth it to anybody lôoking to build a clone. It is a real 1969 dated ZL-1 block,and even a clone built around it would be worth 6 figures. Heck,if the owner of the engine and rear had documentation that it was from car #66,he could be a real D-bag and hold the engine hostage for $K150 or more. It is the only born with engine for that car,so it should double the cãrs value if they are reunited.

#36 ·
I doubt if the orig engine would ever even come close to doubling the value. Most don't have their orig engines and unlike most other Chevrolets, the ZL1's are documented by the Vince Piggins list and other paperwork. I would much rather have a good colored 4 speed car with good history, not so worried about the engine. A example would be the rebodied one that sold for about 500K at Barrett last year ? Does anyone think if it had it's orig engine it would sell for a mil ?

The Berger # 3 ZL1 is a million dollar car and it does not have it's orig. engine. The engine is out there but I don't think it would make it a 2 mil car.

#34 ·
When I found Ed Cuneens ZL1 427 block in Allentown PA I called Ed. Ed asked for the 3 digit assembly code below the vin. Ed sold that car to Tony Lucas of NCs Brian K Hendersons friend. Tony called C B in Allentown PA and paid some serious money for just the block. Its the block that the numbers guys need.Yes and Eds vin number was on the block. I have pictures to prove all this. I actally held the block in my hands,very light compared to the cast iron.

#35 ·
Dan,,,,,:bow:

#38 · (Edited)
Charley,I heard there were about 5 Vin plate only 1969 ZL1 Camaros,5 with Not the Original Born With ZL1 Bodies but rebodies,Is that correct? A vin and paperwork to back up the vin plate on the rebodied ZL1. Wow good thing there are the Real Original Bodied ZL1's left! Paperwork and a vin plate in my book is not anything close to what left the factory. Can't imagine how anyone thinks there any value to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.