Team Camaro Tech banner

Home carpet cleaning....

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  RogerIMcGill 
#1 ·
Hey Guy,s
I need to clean my carpet in my home but I wanted to get your opinions on if you rent a steam cleaner, or should I call a company so they can up sell me on chemicals I dont need. ($59 3 rooms specials. Next thing you know the bill is $300! they got my mom) :mad:
Also what type of cleaners do you use?
Thanks

#2 ·
We have the Hoover Steam Vac, since we have five basset hounds. We use Bissell Carpet cleaner in the coral colored bottle. Maybe add some bleach, 1/4 cup per tank. The hotter the water, the better the clean. If one could use a garden sprayer and 'pre-soak' the carpet, it does even better.

It works pretty good, just like a wet vac with a brushing head. We did the rental trick a few times before Steam Vac came out and I wasn't really impressed, but, it did clean.

Maybe others will give their views.....

#4 ·
The guys are right...buy a good cleaning unit. I have a 10 year old Kenmore steam vacum that works great and has not had a single problem. We clean them about once/twice a year and it definitely extends the life of the carpet. I have some carpet that is 14 years old and still looks like new. Also, you can do steps, upholstery and auto interiors with the correct accessories. My Kenmore has paid for itself many times over at the prevailing rental/commercial rates. Be prepared for the neighbors asking to borrow it……

Steve

#5 ·
Guys my house is wall to wall white carpet so i now a little about cleaning carpet! I had the Hoover steam vac. Its ok,but its nothing compared to a pro cleaning. I had a company called Chemdry do mine. It was like a hundred and change to do the whole house and it dries in a few hours. It made them like new!I dont waste my time with the steam vac anymore,i call Chemdry once a year.

#6 ·
Ahhhh... Professional Carpet Cleaners....

They advertise the $39.00 Deal... but the typical cost is over $200!

I have the Hoover and Bissel... they're great for maintance cleaning. To ge a DEEP CLEANING... I go with the TRUCK MOUNTED unit Cleaning Companies. They are much more powerful than the vacuum type (and cost a little more also) The price is negotiable at the start.

My experience is that it's much more practical and cost effective to go with the Truck Mounted cleaning guy (and get his "Personal Phone" Number for future cleanings ;) rather than getting a store rental unit. Good Luck!

#7 ·
I worked for a Chem-Dry in Sacramento for three years. One of the main things I learned it that what is in the chemicals used for the cleaning is very important. Many of the cheaper (same steam clean guys who use the bait and hook ploy) companies use a high residue solvent based cleaner that will resoil pretty quickly. The Chem dry solution is so gentle you could drink it, you wouldn't want to, but you could. It also leaved no residue and isn't a solvent so it doesn't tear up your carpet. The home cleaning solutions like Kirby solution and store rental solutions are not good for your carpets either.
Just so I don't ramble on. A key to a good carpet cleaning is extraction. You want to get the carpet as dry as possible when you're done no matter what method you use. This is especially key if your carpet is laid over hard wood which can buckle if it gets too wet. It is easier on the carpet in the long run to be kept dry. I like the idea of intermitant self cleaning augmented by professional cleaning.
A conscientious professional will leave your carpet as dry as they possibly can. Good luck!!!

#8 ·
Ditto on John68's advice. Detergents should be used sparingly. Just enough to allow the fiber in the carpet to "wet out". This is helpful due to most carpets being treated with teflon like chemistry to aid in soil and stain protection. Detergents will leave a residue that will accelerate the soiling after cleaning. The best cleaning systems are hot water extraction with the extraction being the most important part of the process. Spot cleaning with water and a mild detergent is also benificial.

#9 ·
I agree with John also, I have used them all, comerical, home rental and now I own a bissel, Once clean they look great now matter who cleaned them, but they sure seemed to get dirty faster. :mad: Our solution: Hard wood floors and area rugs, (to keep the noise down). Now I use the bissel only to clean the smaller rugs...works for me...good luck with your choice :D Mike

#10 ·
Guy's,
Thanks for all the answers! I do have hardwood under my carpet and John68rs, you have a good point about buckling and mold if the waters not sucked totaly out. I did find this on Chem-Dry website:
millions of microscopic carbonating cleaning bubbles in our cleaner we call The Natural®. The carbonating solutions penetrate deep into the base of the carpet, literally exploding dirt and grime off of the fiber's surface. They then lift the dirty particles to the surface where they are whisked away.
I'm going to call them for a "price quote"

#16 ·
i think ...
So "Roger" - inquiring minds want to know ... :confused:
What in the world brought you to an 8 1/2 year old thread to add nothing - but a link to some carpet cleaning service ;)

Go ahead someone, click that link :thumbsup:

Oh, around here lots of folks (and 'we' :D) like "ZeroRes" - http://www.zerorezbayarea.com/

#15 ·
The Hoover units do a great job as a maintenance tool. If you get to spills and stains quickly. If you have some set in grime, then the power of a rental unit or a professional company can't be beat, But the Hoover does and outstanding job and as mentioned, the hotter the water the better the results and a scrub brush and a bowl of hot soapy water as a pre-treater helps a ton. Pet smells? Easy fix - buy a jug of Natures Miracle available at most pet stores and add to hot clean water rinse.

#17 ·
Professional is the best way to go not saying this because I am a Manager for Servpro Fire and Water Restoration and yes we do carpet cleaning. My wife has a good home cleaner that she uses but I bring the guys over once a year to deep cleaning. Also be careful with the home cleaners used, you can clean and set the stain and it does not matter whom cleans it the stain is there.
On cost we charge $65.00 per hour and I have a guy that can clean a 1500sf house in less than 2 hours

#18 ·
Professional is the best way to go not saying this because I am a Manager for Servpro Fire and Water Restoration and yes we do carpet cleaning. My wife has a good home cleaner that she uses but I bring the guys over once a year to deep cleaning. Also be careful with the home cleaners used, you can clean and set the stain and it does not matter whom cleans it the stain is there.
i agree :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.