Team Camaro Tech banner

Solid lifter cam or Hydrolic, should I change ?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Keith Tedford 
#1 ·
This is a Nova question and hope anyone can give me some advice.
I bought a 70 SS 396 last year and it came with a 454 and a solid lifter cam. Because of the tall valve covers and the need to remove them to adjust the valves, the former owner removed the power brake booster.
Needless to say, the brakes are not what I would like them to be. All last summer I tried different pads, 4 Master cylinders, rotors and N.G. The car stops, but it wont lock up and its a little scary.
The former owner said they tried a smaller brake booster ( 8 inch I think he said) and did not create enough vaccum. ALso said that the valve covers would not clear with the smaller booster.
He told me as well as another local mechanic, that I should go back to a hydrolic cam that way I can keep the tall valve covers since they wont have to be removed again, and put on a 7 inch power booster along with a electric vaccum pump if needed at all.
My questions are.

1. Will I notice any difference if I change from solid lifter cam to hydrolic

2. Advantages or disadvantages of a hydrolic cam.

3. Given the above circumstances, would you change ?

Thanks to all
Sorry for the long post

See less See more
#2 ·
Why the tall valve covers? a change in lifters would not require that unless there is a stud gridle or locking system....myself,, I had solids and just got tired of the clacking and reqular adjustment, so switched back....if it is a street car...I promise...good braking is more important...safety first....there are some good hyd. cams out there.....I would switch back and go with the good brakes. just my two cents worth...

#4 ·
hey, just change valve covers!!!! no need to have tall covers with a solid cam unless it has roller rockers, does it have roller rockers, also just run a vacuum reserve can with the small 8" booster, they are generally good for 1 or 2 good brakings, anyway can't be to radical a cam if it is street driven alot, so i would say a reserve can would be the trick, but goodluck
Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.