Team Camaro Tech banner

Convert from Standard Steering Wheel to a Comfort Grip?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SR77 
#1 ·
Hello,
I currently have a standard steering wheel in my 1969 Camaro and want to change it out for a "Comfort or Cushion" grip 3 spoke wheel. Can anyone that has done this conversion or has knowledge of it tell me exactly what parts I will need to change from a standard to 3-spoke comfort grip? Can any of the parts I currently have for the standard wheel be used again for the installation of the comfort grip? The less I have to buy the better!

Also, I have found one used Comfort grip wheel I am considering but it is coming off a tilt column and my column is non-tilt, are there parts I can use that can be included in the purchase that I would need for installation that can be used with either column? If not, what parts would I need to purchase seperately to install it on my non-tilt column?

Thanks for all the help!

#2 · (Edited)
I bought a repro. comfort grip"kit". It came with the wheel, hub,horn cap and screws to mount the wheel to the hub. It all went together nicely and I'm happy with it. The horn works better now than it did with the old p.o.s. aftermarket wheel that was on there before. I think I bought it in about '97,from U.S. Muscle for about $225.00. I'm certainly no expert but to me it looks just like a real G.M. wheel. I think I re-used the rotary horn contact and the shaft nut.

#3 ·
L30, thanks for the reply. yeah I am potentially buying used and not from a kit, so that is why I am trying to figure out what parts I need for the installation and if I can reuse some I already have or ones that can be used with either column. thanks again

PS nice looking interior shot!

#5 ·
Thanks Eric. Other then the horn cap only the hub is needed for the convert? All the other inner parts in the column can be reused from the wheel I have now? How about the hub, is it the same for tilt and non-tilt?

#6 ·
Sean, It looks like there was only one hub from GM (CRG report). But there is a difference in the horn contact part (the part that is under the hub). You might be able to use the one that you have. Besides the hub, wheel and horn cap, you need these parts http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...-cars-with-non-tilt-steering-column-1969.html The green part in the picture is the part that is diff between tilt and non-tilt, but it may be the same as the one you have now. Also, you may need to put some small washers under the horn contact plate as the repros do not have enough clearance and the horns sounds all the time. Luck

http://www.camaros.org/swheel.shtml

#7 ·
Hey Kevin. Thanks for the reply and links. I guess i will just have to see what parts I get with the used wheel and what I have with my standard wheel before I buy anything. The current used wheel I am looking at has some of the color faded and worn so it will probably have to be restored. I would have a little time to look at the different parts and see what works. Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.