Team Camaro Tech banner

Car show entry fee's

6K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Joe Harrison 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been at this hobby for a long time and think that town's and citie's that want us to bring our old car's AND OUR MONEY to their town's should not CHARGE US WHEN WE GET THERE ! I went to a car show yesterday in KINGSPORT TN. and had to pay to park and look around I wish now I had just turned around and left the town , how much did they put on fixing my car ? how much gas do they pay for us to get there ?
THEY SHOULD PAY US !
yesterday was the last car show entry fee I will ever pay ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
that bunch of A $ $ HOLES AT SUPER CHEVY got me started on this in 98 when they tried to charge $40 per person to go in the gate !
I wasn't the only one leaving that day ! I'll never go to or buy anything related to super chevy ,,,,

seriously don't some of you think that it's time that guy's like us that fix these old car's and spend money in town's for food and gas buy part's and basically help the economy WHEREVER WE GO stop getting charged when we get there ??????

#2 ·
Re: Car show enty fee's

Brad your rant is all over the place, are you complaining about being charged as a spectator or being charged to display your car in a car show?

In my experience there are several types of car shows, some the proceeds are for charity, some help pay for services to a community they otherwise couldn't afford and then there is the strictly for profit car show. I've attended (and paid for) all 3 types and will continue to in the future.

I like attending charity or benefit shows the most, it's a fun way to help others. I also don't mind paying to be in a show where say downtown merchants are trying to raise awareness of their existance, bring in customers and maybe clean-up a section of town they can't get city funding to help with...

What you have to keep in mind is it takes money to put on a car show. The obvious is trophys but don't forget about porta-pottys, city permits, event insurance, DJ or Band, and that's just the basic expences...

I saved the "for profit" shows for last, since you mentioned SC I assume this your real rant... I do some of these too but I look at what I get in return, my entertainment value if you will! I recently did a 1 day show and my expenses were $35 for the entry and $50 in gas round trip. For that $85 I got 2 passes into Laguna Seca Raceway for the races, a tee-shirt and 2 laps around the track in my Camaro. That was all above and beyond participating in the car show. I rarely go to a Goodguys show anymore as a participant but may start again because they have added autocrossing to the price of admission...

Nobody is forcing car owners to go to shows and pay to enter them! What you have to do is pick and choose the shows you attend, there are week night cruise-ins that don't cost anything if you are opposed to the entry fees! If the entertainment value is there for you or the charity cause is worth supporting then go and enjoy. If not stay home or find something else to do!

#3 · (Edited)

I don't mind paying to put my car in shows. Most raise money for good causes and I've even considered doing a small show to raise money for my kid's school music program.
I get my money's worth by hanging out with other car guys and talking shop for 4 or 5 hours. Plus how else can you see cars you've been in love with your whole life? (my true love is the '67 Stingray... last week I saw a "100" point, Carlisle trophy winner for example) I also like taking my daughter to shows. Of course, out here you never know who you're gonna run into....
View attachment 16112

#4 ·

it just seam's like the normal joe alway's get's the short end of the stick ,
anybody here tell me that SC charging $40 per person including children under the age of 12 NO CAR ! JUST TO WALK IN ! isn't crazy and I'll never mention this again ,
and yes SC is the thorn in my side on this , that was 12 year's ago !
I guess what I think is that the normal joe that is not out to make any profit or anything from this hobby / IS WHAT DRIVES THE HOBBY / he should be rewarded for his effort's
CHARITY IS FINE ! childrens hospital / relay for life/ stuff like that is great and we donate every time ,
town's that want to draw in business WANT OUR HOTRODS AND CLASSICS BECAUSE PEOPLE COME IN DROVES TO SEE THEM , those people
BUY GAS
BUY FOOD
BUY PARTS FROM VENDORS
SPEND MONEY !
we the average joe's
BUILD THE CARS THAT DRAW IN THE PEOPLE ! WE SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED FOR IT !

#5 ·

it just seam's like the normal joe alway's get's the short end of the stick ,
anybody here tell me that SC charging $40 per person including children under the age of 12 NO CAR ! JUST TO WALK IN ! isn't crazy and I'll never mention this again ,
and yes SC is the thorn in my side on this , that was 12 year's ago !
I guess what I think is that the normal joe that is not out to make any profit or anything from this hobby / IS WHAT DRIVES THE HOBBY / he should be rewarded for his effort's
CHARITY IS FINE ! childrens hospital / relay for life/ stuff like that is great and we donate every time ,
town's that want to draw in business WANT OUR HOTRODS AND CLASSICS BECAUSE PEOPLE COME IN DROVES TO SEE THEM , those people
BUY GAS
BUY FOOD
BUY PARTS FROM VENDORS
SPEND MONEY !
we the average joe's
BUILD THE CARS THAT DRAW IN THE PEOPLE ! WE SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED FOR IT !
I don't look at it as "being charged" for. Besides, if you'd pay $12.00 for a movie, you should be willing to pay $20.00 for a car show.

#6 ·
I personally just go to the car shows to look at the cars. I quit entering my car in about 1994 or 95 just because I have better things to do than sit at a car show for 4 or 5 hours. Now with that said, I will go to a cruise in or cruise night when you can come and go as you please. I'm not trying to offend anyone that goes to car shows, it just isn't for me. I have noticed the entry fees have gone from $8 in 2000 to $10 in 2005 and now they are $12-$15. The cruise night around here draws about 500 cars and the entry for reserved parking is $2, but there is live entertainment and things for the kids to do.

#8 ·
I went to a car show today that benefited a local high school automotive shop. Entry fee was $10. Hamburger lunch w/ chips & soda was $4.
What a rip off:D

We have a guy in our group that has NEVER paid an entry fee. He always figures a way to sneak his car into the car show and not pay. One year we were parked at the back of a city park that had a telephone pole fence with long lag bolts. No problem, he just dis-assembled a section of the fence, drove his car in, and the re-assemblied the fence.:yes:

#9 ·
The entry fees don't really bother me if they are reasonable and either for charity or just to cover the cost of the shows overhead. I do carefully pick and choose the shows that I am going to attend in order to maximize the value to myself. Basically, the more friends that are attending, the more likely I am to attend. When I first bought my Camaro, I'd attend about 10-12 shows a year; now I might hit 3 or 4. I attended the Good Guys show for a lot of years and finally decided that it just wasn't worth the price of admisson, and 6 bucks for a beer, and 4 bucks for a hot dog; I haven't been back in about 5 years, even as a spectator. As others have mentioned, the cruise-in's are just as much fun and usually free so there is a lot of value there. I have been involved with two Camaro clubs and each one has monthly outings during the season which is another great way to hang out with fellow Camaro enthusiasts without shelling out a bunch of cash.

#12 ·
In my small town, the entrance fee to put your car into the show is $25 which includes a breakfast and a steak dinner at the site. The fee to enter the show for spectators is $3 for adults with Seniors getting in free and young children pay only $1. You also get a t-shirt with the entry fee and other free goodies. :hurray:

#13 ·
I've been going to Super Chevy shows since the early 90s and have never paid more than $22.00 to spectate.
I'm sick of the fees to local shows too, why should I pay $25.00 just to sit in the sun all day and get nothing in return except maybe a little wood plaque?
Ron

#14 ·
Super Chevy Shows are typically around $15 to $20 for a one day pass.

$40.00 gets you a three day pass.

Super Chevy has a new ownership group made up of owners of some of the best drag racing facilities in the country. Maple Grove, Norwalk, Denver, Bristol, Las Vegas etc.

I am hoping they can revive Super Chevy to top notch status.

#15 ·
Never did understand the reasoning behind the entry fee for the crowd draw. Same thing happens at your local race tracks, where the racers and pit crews are charged more than the spectators, and they put on the show at their expense? Seems to be all backwards to me, IMO.

#29 ·
I do not see how the organizers can come up with the money unless there are some really good sponsors. I do not have any reservation about paying spectator or driver charges. I have been checking on how much it takes to run a car show and my hat goes out to these community shows. That is even without food vendors.

Movie theatres don't even allow you to bring outside food. :noway: At least you can brown bag it to a car show.

#19 ·
Big towns and small towns are very different.
Most drive-ins around here compete for cruisers and hotrod clubs,
offering free or discounted burgers, ice cream, or something to the drivers.
Cruisers bring in paying spectators/customers.

Mon - Carl's Jr. on Bowels
Wed - Hamburger Stand on Union
Fri - Burger King on Jewel
Sat - Sonic on Ken Caryl
Sun - Dariy Queen on Pierce
(www.GoldenSupercruise.com)

The only car shows I attend are charity events, that I choose. (my excuse, "it's for a good cause" but I get plenty out of it.)
Each charity show, I ussually end up with 5-10 flyers for other shows, some charity, and some shady.
You'll see the same registration fees and spectator fees in a dog show or beauty pagent or swap meet or race of any kind.
Why should this hobby be any different.

If you think someone else "owes you" for your hobby, then it's no longer a hobby.
The big shows (SC, Goodguys) are just like the circus coming to town.
What would you pay for an afternoon of entertainment? (5-6 hours)

#22 ·
Skip you will have fun at Peggys Sues... Santa Rosa is a great venue for sure...have fun...

Sunday I am attending the "Where the heck is Groveland" carshow at the country house...(showing the vert) $20 bucks to show, including a T shirt, lunch, and it's for charity...(Tax deductible) How can you beat that? :)

#21 ·
I help put on our annual club's show every July. We get 200-300 cars typically (medium sized show) We have a couple grand in raffle prizes to give away, t-shirts, dj, food, vendors etc. ALL of the proceeds benefit charity, with most of it going to Childrens hospital in Seattle. We charge 15 pre-registered or 20 for day of show. We have a bunch of trophies and most of the people have alot of fun. It is ALOT of work to put on a show with all the bells and whistles. There have been some years I didn't even get a chance to walk around and see who attended...
To say that it sucks to have to pay is just nuts. What else can you do with a family of 4 for 20 bucks that lasts all day and has everything to do with cars?
Dano

#27 ·
Well said, Dano. If everyone took the attitude that they do not want to pay for car shows anymore, then eventually they would cease to exist and we would all be complaining about not having any car shows to go to. I do see the point of having to pay $20.00 to enter a car show and then be stuck sitting in the sun for 4 or 5 hours. Sometimes it is hard to find that much time to spare. However, we should try to find a show or two to exhibit our iron - it is what keeps the hobby going. We want to see this hobby that we love continue on and be handed down to the next generation. How do we expect that to happen if we elect to keep our cars stowed away in a garage somewhere? I know of dozens of absolutely stunning cars in my community that almost never turn up at any cruises or car shows. It's the owners' right what they do with the car, but it is a great thing when you see an owner who likes to show his car off at the cruises and shows so that everyone can enjoy seeing them.

#23 ·
Except for the weekend-long indoor shows, all of the local shows here are free to spectators. And the entry fee for participants is always around $20 with it going to a charity. The cruise-in type events are free for everyone.

#28 ·
FACT: I WAS NOT MAKING IT UP ! SUPER CHEVY SHOW BRISTOL TN. 1998 I was asked $40 per person TO WALK IN ! they were also charging me $40 each for my two kid's who at that time were 6yr & 8yr old's for me my wife and kid's was $160 I WAS TOLD TOLD TO EITHER PAY IT OR LEAVE ! and the GUY used a tone that nobody at a car show should use ! I LEFT ! AND HAVE NEVER BEEN BACK !

I WILL NEVER ! EVER ! IF I LIVE TO BE 100 YEAR'S OLD
#1 buy a super chevy magazine
#2 buy ANYTHING RELATED TO OR WITH SUPER CHEVY ON IT !
#3 go to ANY EVENT THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH SUPER CHEVY !

I have calmed down since I first posted this and have made up my mind 100% my day's of paying entry fee's as a spectator or car owner at a classic auto related event which I EAT SLEEP AND BREATH ARE OVER ! they can let me in free or I will simply GO SOMEWHERE ELSE !

#31 ·
Brad you may have been gotten be a scalper because their site has the highest admission price is $30.00 for the three-day event, $20.00 for a Sat. or a Sun. and $10.00 for Fri. The kids are $5.00 10 and under.
I have only been to one Super Chevy Show in Indy and it was a big show.
Check out the site link below.

Roger

http://www.bristoldragway.com/events/super_chevy_show/

#32 ·
A simple solution is to not go. Don't look and don't show your car. Just go drive it and enjoy it. If you need car shows to validate your project then maybe you will have to pay to get that validation.

I see it like this. I pay to have things done to my Camaro, I do some things myself. I pay for parts, gas, food you name it from working on it to driving it. Why should it be any different at a car show. For charity or profit i could care less. Everything cost money and to think someone should hand it to you for free because your a classic car owner that will draw a crowd to spend money in a town is just plain self centered thinking. Do you think they are putting on a car show to to serve your needs or theirs? It's attitudes like this that make people not want to put on shows in the first place. Then people bitch when they don't get the trophy or best of show when they thought their car was the best in a class or at the show.

I have seen cars that of course should have won best of show but most of these shows are judged by people for best of show and people can pick an a$$ hole out of crowd very easily so why should they vote for what is the best car when the owner is jerk. That's just the way it is.
I work every year to help a local woman’s group put on show and assist sometimes with judging. The judges are made up most of the time of people that volunteer their time not only on the day of the show but weeks and weeks of it before then also. The $25.00 to enter and $1.00 per vote for best of show tickets is fund raiser. They give out some pretty cool stuff. Have nice trophies, have stuff for kids, a cruise and parade through town. Provide a local tour of a historical home and free cookies and milk when your there and you have little car show in the front of a civil war home. ALL FOR $25.00 and you get a shirt too....(which in my opinion every year has been ugly...LOL!!)

You need to look a little deeper at what is going on or take the time to volunteer to put on a show or put one on your self. You will soon find out that $25.00 per entry is possibly still loosing money or on the brink of breaking even. It's the extras that bring in a few $$$ like voting tickets, parking, food sales, raffles etc.

Most people appreciate the time people spend to put on shows or local cruise nights.....other don't and just bitch and never do anything to try improving what they think sucks...they just keep bitching and complaining......those people should stay home, we don't want to hear or see you at the show or cruise nite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.