Team Camaro Tech banner

Got my deer :)

6K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Joe Harrison 
#1 ·
It was 2 years ago that I last got my deer during season but the dry spell ended on Sat. morning when this guy messed up and walked into my line of sight at 7:30am :) he will taste great in the crock pot. :D

Deer Deer hunting Reindeer Roe deer White-tailed deer

and a nice warm feeling walking back to the house in the dark, hot coffee is inside and granddaughter, daughter and Mrs. Click are inside racing to the door asking .... " Didja get yer deer "

Black Sky Night Darkness Atmospheric phenomenon

See less See more
#5 ·
Not sure of the weight... took 2 of us to hike him up on the rope to the rafter to hang...guessing 150ish at least... maybe my meat processor will have a scale when I take it to him this week. :)

#7 ·
No different than you buying 5 lbs of steak and burger at the grocery store John... but this eliminates the middleman, shipping and chemicals processed into store bought food so often :)

#8 ·
Well done....Is it the roar over there at the moment?

Sorry man I just don't get the whole killing bambi thing.
Just a thought on that..
One has to give credit to veggietarians making such a stand...even if we may disagree with it..
But someone who is not a veggierarian, and can open their fridge or freezer with battery grown chicken, eggs, and similar for pork, beef, therefore must condone the keeping of animals in such inhumain conditions.....yet to take a beast that has grazed naturally, that due to its enviroment must be stalked and hunted down is wrong???
Sry I dont get the logic ...
Thu I can get it if simply hunting down for trophy and nothing gets taken for the table.. thats a waste
We are lucky, we dont have a season here...
hunting is primarly just getting out in the bush for a few or more days with good company, in hard and rugged country, meat, and anything beyond that is bonus...Something most dont get.

Well done Jim....dont forget the chocolate when cooking....

#10 ·
John, if it's any consolation look at it like this; hunting equals population control. Without it, Bambi runs the risk of dying a slow, painful death due to starvation. I gave up hunting when I moved here to "brown town" from Pennsylvania, but I still defend it as being somewhat necessary.

#11 ·
I'm good with all that and definitely defend your rights to hunt. I guess a least for me it's the killing of a defenseless animal for sport that I don't get.

I've been told by guys it's for the meat but when we total the cost of the "hunt" that reason doesn't hold water.

I'm no tree Hugger and love a good steak.

To the OP congrats on your success. God bless America that you are able. :beers:

#12 ·
Cost of the hunt? About .35cents for the 1 bullet it took. A clean, immediate kill too, no suffering at all. Good luck to others and hope they all take their game only for the food. I dont troply hunt at all. :)

#14 ·
Good job Jim. I haven't harvested anything yet with my bow. Have passed on some "smallish" bucks, waiting for a wall hanger. Will probably end up taking a doe or two just to help keep the numbers down. But we had a fairly significant deer kill from disease (related to drought) earlier in the year.

#15 ·
Nice buck. I had to burn my days off for deer season to go to a wedding my wife was in. Which really chapped my rear end. For second season my daughter is having surgery, which just makes me sad. Only other time I've missed deer season was when I was deployed. Now I'm just sad, pumpkin beer inbound.

#18 ·
Congrats Jim :beers:

Got 2 in the freezer so far this year :D Got Deer chili in Crockpot right now and that stew recipe is on counter for maybe this weekend :yes:

I only Bow hunt since gun season gets a little too weird for me (public land) :eek:

#19 ·
Found out today to process my deer, the local company charges $75 to yank off the hide and bone it out into either stew meat or burger grindings. Then $2 a pound to put in pork fat to make burger. So 50 lbs of venison burger meat at 80/20 would add 10 lbs of pork fat, making a total of 60 lbs of buger... at $2 a pound is $120 bucks for 60 lbs of venison burger. :) not bad. Rest of meat will be cut into 'stew' sizes and packaged in 2lb bags. I like simple things :D

#20 ·
As a young lad, my dad would here and there bring a deer head home from the local meat store. I do remember eating most of it, eyeballs, tongue, ect. Not sure if thats even normal to eat ? But as a kid i didn't know any better, what was on the table was food. Now as a adult, not sure i would ever eat it again, unless i was on a camping trip and thats all there was. What do you do with the skin of the deer ? Can you make some comfty slippers ? I'm using my imagination, but you can give us a lesson.

#21 ·
They turn all the hides over to a state wide program where they convert the hides to slippers and gloves etc. and the proceeds from those sales go to improving deer habitat thru the Deer Hunters Assoc. programs. :D

#22 ·
Deer hunting has never been my thing. No one in this are complains much about deer hunting because without the deer hunters the deer would over run the area. But then the hunters start the deer moving. They end up in front of a car a lot.

This was the headline in todays paper.
OH, DEER: IF YOU SEE DEER ON ROAD AND CAN'T AVOID IT, 'DRIVE STRAIGHT THROUGH IT'
http://www.whig.com/story/20082945/...d-and-cant-avoid-it-drive-straight-through-it

Then there is always stories like this one.
DEER DESTROYS TWO WINDOWS AT HANNIBAL REGIONAL HOSPITAL
http://www.whig.com/story/20083557/deer-destroys-two-windows-at-hannibal-regional-hospital

Roger

#25 ·
But then the hunters start the deer moving. They end up in front of a car a lot.
Thats strange...Down here most hunters go for the 'easy deer, not to far from highways, access roads... this tends to drive the deer into the back blocks...where there serious hunter spends a day or to driving, then walking in to set base camp...or fly in by 'chopper
The deer close to access tend to be very skittly and thin spread...espec the sika

We strip down our own carcass, then send the stuff for sausages, mince etc to the local butcher who keeps a few sauges and stuff for his own table.

#26 ·
The Mrs.and I did our own processing one year...never agian... out in the garage at night in 10 degree weather, on a wobbling table with gooey venison slime all over the tabletop and knives etc. then cutting into serving sizes, then double wrapping in freezer paper, tape wont stick, then cutting up the bones and rib cages and other parts for the trash man to take away, it wasnt worth it to us...$75 is cheap but guess Im just lazy and like to pick up a box of tiny white packages of meat all done and ready for my freezer and crock pot :)

#27 ·
The Mrs.and I did our own processing one year...never agian... out in the garage at night in 10 degree weather, on a wobbling table with gooey venison slime all over the tabletop and knives etc. then cutting into serving sizes, then double wrapping in freezer paper, tape wont stick, then cutting up the bones and rib cages and other parts for the trash man to take away, it wasnt worth it to us...$75 is cheap but guess Im just lazy and like to pick up a box of tiny white packages of meat all done and ready for my freezer and crock pot :)
Have to agree Jim.... and I could never get as good (even) cuts as the butcher plus getting one in the early evening, taking home, butchering, being up late and having to go to work in the AM....worth every penny for someone else to do it :yes:

Standard cut here is $75 where I go....Back strap,loin,chops,steaks,roasts,and ground.

#29 ·
The Mrs.and I did our own processing one year...never agian
u are getting old m8 lol
As I have mentioned, hunting here seems a little different to States side....we generally have to carry the beast, be it a deer or a Captain cooker out Even getting back to a chooper is usually a mission...hence often its partly butched in the feild... Goats are not the same weight or bulk.
On the other hand having a tradesman butcher teaching how to cut a beast up makes a huge difference.... "count the ribs, 3rd up slice there and there, bend that ... see snaps off..." type of thing... and having the hooks, pullies, and most important the quailty of knives in the correct condition...
Basically what comes home is what gets packaged...except for the pelt... so next to nothing gets thrown out.
And damn near everything is butched hanging... not on table

Oh here is a Snapper I caught couple weeks ago.. biggest snapper yet .. just under 17lbs.
These are not good for eating , so was returned to the sea.....got it on 6kg line.

#35 ·
Oh here is a Snapper I caught couple weeks ago.. biggest snapper yet .. just under 17lbs.
These are not good for eating , so was returned to the sea.....got it on 6kg line.
Might be a different fish but I see "snapper" or "Red Snapper" for sale in the markets here. It's been sometime since I have had it but it was a very good eating fish....had it at a restaurant in San Diego.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.