Team Camaro Tech banner

1968 camaro convertible rear speakers

20K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KevinK7 
#1 ·
Hello.Does anyone have any images of a rear speaker set up factory style?I have the speakers and cardboard housings but they do not seem to fit without the speaker magnet clearing the rear well metal.Thanks.Vic.

#2 ·
Here's some pics of two verts with two rear speakers. Note that the angle doesn't appear the same, but maybe that's the camera angle or? Are you using the factory 7300614 square magnet style speakers? I believe there were dimples/indents in the upper floor pan for where the cardboard housing gets screwed to the floor.

#3 ·
Both of these things you want pictures of are pretty rare, especially the defroster. Someone on ebay wanted $4000.00 for a defroster a while back, so good luck finding a picture of one installed. I don’t have a picture of either, but there is a good write-up, description in the link below for installation purposes. I think the original speaker set-up was not popular because when the top went down, it covered up the speakers & sound.
If you want more information, try doing a search in this convertible forum & there might be other treads that will help you.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53423&highlight=defroster

#5 ·
I owned a Fiero (yeah I know) but one of the cool features of the tupperware on wheels was that it had dual speakers mounted inside in the headrest. While the car was fun and screamed down the highway, it was impracticable at best and the only Pontiac I have ever owned. By far the best part of the interior design was the sound system which was amazing.

I ditched the car and went big SUV but the sound concept always nudged me to wonder if I mounted a set of decent and well amped 6x9 coax or triax aftermarket speakers bolted rorm the trunk side to the rear wall, and encased them in a housing and then grill over the speakers and the fairly large factory openings of the rear wall (see attached Photo) for protection, then reinstall the seat back as the speaker covers and let the sound penetrate through the rear seat back foam. Would the sound be acceptable?

Has to be better then going through six inches of folded top from cheap single axle speakers pointed in the wrong direction housed in cardboard right?. Am I the only guy to think of this solution? I used to have two small box speakers on the rear seat but they always bashed around in a curve. I have been just using the front dash speaker which is a modified true stereo dual in the single location, while not true stereo separation better then mono or just one channel but still missing omph.

Attachments

#6 ·
Brian, you do know the above pic is the bracing behind a coupe rear seat back; the vert cross reinforcement is totally different, without any areas ( unless cut by owner) to mount speakers. Right?

A search of "speakers" here in the 1st gen vert forum will bring up many, many threads. If you want, advance search for threads or posts by "JimM"; I think his system is one of the less intrusive, fairly budget-oriented setups I have seen (and now his car is for sale, so he is here more and might be able to answer any specific questions).

In a nutshell the modern answer for decent top down sound is component speakers. Bass is non-directional, so you can get away with a powered sub in the trunk, some mids at other points in the car, and fairly unobtrusive (depending on your interior color) tweeters up where they need to be, like most any good, modern OE sound system. But you have some research, wiring, and budgeting to do :)

#7 ·
Oh, and for the OP, I will see if I have any pics of the OE rear speaker only, but the factory monaural or stereo units (just a single cone "woofer") were nowhere near as deep and the magnets nowhere near as large as anything produced today. So, unless someone is reproducing the correct speakers or you have reconed original vert rear speakers, a modern speaker doesn't fit in the OE style tissue boxes...

#10 ·
I thought to post this since I just went through the same.
Today's newer speakers (with large magnets) won't work the the factory (cheap) cardboard mounts.
Simple enough to make a set out of sheet metal, so this is what I did...

I went with these 6 1/2" Polk speakers since they have good ratings AND have a shallow (2") top mount.

...starting out...

Here is a finished housing, before paint

...a 'prototype' in case anyone is interested in measurements

A photo showing the DEPTH change from the original cardboard to the sheetmetal mount

...speakers installed. (A factory 6x9 grill DOES cover the speaker, and will be used once the wellliner is in)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.