Team Camaro Tech banner

NASCAR- The WWF of Auto Racing

10K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  novaderrik 
#1 ·
What a joke. I don't think NASCAR fans would know good racing if they tripped over it so NASCAR caters to this 'Roman Coliseum' nonsense.

Jeff Gordon better check himself, I think a girl scout could take him without much effort.

#3 ·
Really? Sorry if you don't like it. Just watch another channel if it's not your cup of tea.

I agree it is not as good the past 5 years or so, but the fan base doesn't seem to be shrinking.

#4 ·
Really? Sorry if you don't like it. Just watch another channel if it's not your cup of tea.

I agree it is not as good the past 5 years or so, but the fan base doesn't seem to be shrinking.
Yes, really. No need to be sorry B. And I rarely watch a complete race anymore.

Looks like lots of empty seats to me at every race. Last week at Texas that place was maybe 50% full-and just 4 or 5 years ago a Texas group was sueing SMASHCAR so they could get the two race dates they had been promised. And there had been rumblings that the specialty race 'The All Star' event might get moved there too. Even Bristol doesn't sell out anymore and it used to be the hardest ticket to get in racing.

I used to go to 3-4 races a year, the last one I went to was in 2001. I used to watch them all on TV, now I watch 5-6. And the ones I have watched, and highlights of lots of others, are essentially demolition derbys more often than not.

The 'lucky dog'. The 'green white checker'. The 'Chase'. All gimmicks. All hype. Not much racing anymore,imo.

#5 ·
I do agree some changes are needed. Just not sure what. I am a die hard Chevy fan, but Jimmy Johnson's domination got old. Not a Dodge fan, but actually I hope Brad K. gets the championship. (Wow, did I just type that?)

I will say the first race of the year (Daytona) was PACKED this year, even with the bad weather. I was there.

Phoenix seemed pretty full yesterday, but I do remember thinking that there were a lot of empty seats at Texas.

Not a Ford fan either, but starting to like Carl Edwards more. His younger brother Kenny used to race at a local dirt track close to here. Carl was there a few times. I don't think he races at the local track any more though.

#7 ·
... Not a Dodge fan, but actually I hope Brad K. gets the championship. ...
It is a little late to become a 'Dodge Fan' in NASCAR isn't it :D

You have to wonder if NASCAR isn't hoping Dodge just might stay in Sprint Cup 'if' Brad could pull off a Championship this year ...

And Texas attendance was down - 147K this year vs. 150K last year ;)
Might be partially my fault - was supposed to go with my brother, but family 'stuff' delayed the trip - so there's one less :p

Phoenix attendance was up - something like 87K vs. 84~85K a year ago - it's a nice small-ish track and a great place to see racing :thumbsup:

Still watch as much as I can - but have to admit that it was between sanding and staining woodwork yesterday.
Didn't miss the Hockey finish though :thumbsup:

#8 ·
What a joke. I don't think NASCAR fans would know good racing if they tripped over it so NASCAR caters to this 'Roman Coliseum' nonsense.
Well not any more...its not about the race any more, but the marketing, flashy and flashier in the misguided name of money, ...I supose the younger fans dont know any difference... the older fans do rem what real NASCAR was about
"WWF of racing" very apt.
We havnt bothered to see a full race for around 4 yrs now, or even all a races in the last 2 yrs....before that going back to the 90s when we 1st got full coverage in the 90s, never missed a race..And we dont have adverts in NZ...."full coverage" is just that

#11 ·
I was the race in Phoenix and it was a sell out. I have to ask with all the warning that Clint got and Jeff was in the lane to go to the pits and then Clint ducks under him to inside. Watch the re-runs. Clint hit him and Jeff turns into him Clint could have went way to the outside with out a problem.

Gotta wonder just how much Clint wanted to wreck Jeff and vise versa. Over all it was good race and I hope brad wins it.

#12 ·
I'm a Chevrolet fan as well but what Jeff Gordon did yesterday was without a doubt the most idiotic thing I've ever seen on a race track. If he has a problem with Bowyer and takes him out, well I say let the two of them settle it on or off the track, no big deal. But his stupidity not only took himself out but also got the #43 and Logano-those cars were wadded up really bad.

I agree with what Vince wrote. When Gordon was winning everything under the sun everything was peachy....now that he can't carry Jimmy J's jock strap he goes on wrecking sprees and takes out other driviers who are fighting for their rides or opportunities to get others.

SMASHCAR should sit him down for the next race, but I'm sure they are more concerned with their bottom line and the prospect of using this conflict as more hype to increase attendance and ratings for the next demolition derby.

At least these folks are good for the economy,lol.

#16 ·
More evidence that SMASHCAR is a joke. Bowyer's crew chief gets suspended while JG gets essentially nothing,lol. Gotta have those ratings and butts in the seats.

Somehow I don't think a 100K hit has much effect on someone that makes in excess of 20 million per year.

Crash on, SMASHCAR!!!

I will continue to support real racing-sprint cars, local late models, and sportsman drag racing. I hope others will do the same thing.

#39 ·
I really like watching golf, the scenery is fantastic-especially in the dead of winter.

I used to play somewhat regularly, but I had to quit playing a few years ago. No health issue or anything like that, it's just the fact that I am far too dangerous to be out on the course.

I can hit the ball 300 yards straight ahead or 425 sideways,lol. And I have hit everything but the lottery while on the links. Houses, cars, golf carts, tractors.......even hit a damn turtle one time. He was on the end of a log in a pond, hell I thought I killed him,lol.

#20 ·
What I don't get is that Boyer, after being told with plenty of time that JG was waiting to take him out, didn't slow, fake high then just power by him low. Maybe he was playing a little chicken?
unless it is a soap opera staged incident to bump up headlines and ratings....
It is the marketing/ propaganda guys with support of the accountants / bean counters who control NASCAR now.

Been mentioned above this used to happen with the 'old guys' yep it did, but the big difference was these days they always have camera crews right there basically setup as if premempted....even given these days the camera coverage is hugely better, but not that better..

#24 ·
My solution is if you don't like it, don't watch it. Easy...
That is my solution, too, and that is why I wrote that I support real racing-like sprint cars, local late models, and sportsman drag racing.

Perhaps you missed that post?

#29 ·
I can't see what you guys are complaining about. Ever since there has been NASCAR there has been fights and retaliation on the track. The big problems I see NASCAR having is there are too many races in a season and they are too long. There is no reason other then track profits to have two races at the same track in one season. Look at the attendance at the Texas track, it was really bad. It was the second race at Texas and the fans can't afford or want to see two races there in one year.
I pretty much like all kinds of circle track racing. The open wheel racers more then the stocks. Then on dirt is better then anything.

Roger

#30 ·
I can't see what you guys are complaining about. Ever since there has been NASCAR there has been fights and retaliation on the track. The big problems I see NASCAR having is there are too many races in a season and they are too long. There is no reason other then track profits to have two races at the same track in one season. Look at the attendance at the Texas track, it was really bad. It was the second race at Texas and the fans can't afford or want to see two races there in one year.
I pretty much like all kinds of circle track racing. The open wheel racers more then the stocks. Then on dirt is better then anything.

Roger
There used to be 50 or more races a year, and when the sport was pretty much regional to the Southeastern US we had lots of tracks with 2 races a year, attendance was good then.

People build the tracks to make a profit, believe it or not. And I'm with ya on the dirt track racing, especially WoO.

#33 ·
i love it when something like this happens... it brings out all the people that claim that they never watch NASCAR to bitch and complain about it..

i thought it was a pretty damn good race, and i thought that Clint and his crew had every right to be pissed and want to have a "chat" with Gordon after he took them out of potential contention for the Cup over piddly little racing incidents that happen when you race hard.

as someone already said a couple of pages ago- Jeff's glory days are behind him and the big money sponsors and glory are gone. he's no longer the "Rainbow Warrior" with Dupont on his car every week and the best crew behind him, and instead is a relatively old man with the AARP logo on his car. he can still race and he can still win, but he's used to being the alpha male in the Hendrick shop and doesn't like getting the stuff that the 48, 88, 5, 14, 10, and 39 teams don't want and he knows that the only thing keeping him there is his business ties with the Hendrick empire and his (i think) lifetime contract. just wait until 2014 when Harvick joins the extended Hendrick empire in a 4th car over at SHR and they become the dominant team in NASCAR- Stewart, Newman, and Harvick all under one roof mentoring Danica and turning her into a real racer- poor Jeff will be left out of all the fun unless he can pull some real miracles out of his butt and start winning again..

not that anyone will notice Jeff out on the track or really talk about all that other Hendrick related stuff for about the first couple of months of the '14 season, what with all the fan outrage that will boil to the surface when a silver and black #3 car rolls out for the 2014 Budweiser Shootout with Austin Dillon behind the wheel...

#35 ·
I do believe that JG is part owner in the 48 car. So when JJ wins, he wins.

#34 ·
I believe Childress retired the number 3 from Sprint by buying the number for life?
Maybe not, it can always change.

Yes, it was an exciting race, better than most seen this year.
There is Austrailian V8 Supercars, looks like older NASCAR and they make right turns.

#37 ·
I believe Childress retired the number 3 from Sprint by buying the number for life?
Maybe not, it can always change.
Richard has 'owned' the #3 since the 70's, and campaigned under that number for many of his racing years ;)
Here is his 79 Dayton car - Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorsport Stock car racing

When he formed his team he still had the number rights and used them for Sr.

btw - RC's grandson is now using the #3 :yes:
No tellin' if Gramps will let him carry it to 'Sprint' in the future ...

DE-Sr. raced under the 15 and 8 for many years - the reason Jr. drove the 8 until changing teams - when the 8 couldn't come with him, he chose 88 ...

#40 ·
"I do believe that JG is part owner in the 48 car. So when JJ wins, he wins"

I have thought they should have docked him 25 points on the 48, that would have really sent a message. He almost took the 2 out with his stupid stunt and the 48 could have had a much easier chance to catch the 2 in points.

#41 ·
There is Austrailian V8 Supercars, looks like older NASCAR and they make right turns.
U guys get that series over there... and Bathurst?
Ambrose is an ex Aussie V8 champ.
Often wonder how things would go... maybe a PR marketing thing... where in the off season, some of the NASCAR guys come over and compete...even at bathurst.
2 Events Australasia stops for... the Melboune cup and Bathurst...both about HP.

#45 ·
the V8 Supercars are going to be at the new F1 track in Austin, TX next year... i've watched them a few times and i don't see what the big deal is.. yeah, it's ok racing, but i can't tell who is who and i cant' find any really good technical info on the cars beyond "they have small block V8 engines and sequential manual transmissions"..

#44 ·
Richard Childress has said in no uncertain terms that Austin Dillon will be in the 3 when he goes to Cup full time in a couple of years. he might change the shape of the number, but it's his number to do with as he wishes. but seeing the way no one has really freaked out too badly over the 3 in the Nationwide series, i don't think it will be too traumatic once the old timers let go. this is why Harvick is jumping ship at the end of next year- and i think the reason he sold his Nationwide and Truck teams to RCR at the end of the 2010 season. it was a part of the process of cutting his business ties with RCR (he got all the equipment from RCR and served as satellite teams for them like SHR does with Hendrick and KBR does with JGR). Kevin knows that RCR is being geared towards Richard's grandkids like DEI was supposed to be for Dale Jr and his siblings so he is moving on before he gets pushed out- and i think he'll be right at home with Stewart, Newman, and Patrick over at SHR since they all seem to be old school racers.

#46 ·
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/

I must admit We have been NASCAR fans for several decades now, Not Aussie V* other than the Bathurst race....and Pukekohe circuit when it was there...Moved to Hamliton, Waikato street race few years back...hoping will now go to the new track at Hampton Downs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.