Team Camaro Tech banner

sending unit resetting?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JohnZ 
#1 ·
Here is a strange question that I could not find answered in the archives. Is there a procedure for resetting the sending unit/ gas gauge? I have dropped the tank before for suspension work and just reconnected everything and it worked fine that time.

I just finished refurbishing my gas tank: cleaned out the inside, new strainer, sending unit gasket & retaining ring, filler tube connector and rubber fuel line. When I re-installed the tank I made sure all the electrical connections were clean and tight.

I put a few gallons of gas into the tank and fired up the engine when I see the gas guage pegged way past full. ??? Oh crap! So I drop the tank again and start playing with the connections. I hook up a ground wire extension, then unhook the sending unit connector with the circuit energized. The gauge is still pegged past full. Then I reconnect the sending unit wire while the circuit is energized and the gauge goes back to reading normally again.

Do I have a bad sending unit?

Edit: I disconnected the positive battery terminal after getting the gauge to read normally (ignition switch was off) and then it goes back to being pegged past full! Argh!
------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 12-07-2002).]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.