Team Camaro Tech banner

Dollar general motor oil

7K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  AlexFolino 
#1 ·
While looking for bargains at the local dollar general store I came across some motor oil that might be worth checking out. I think it was called Uni-Tech? On the label it said it was for 1998 and older vehicles. Would this be due to it having a high level of zddp? If so would it be worth buying it up before it is no longer made? The stuff is only $1.25 a quart.

#11 · (Edited)
m21,

That's not really so if the oil is made for the year made engines.

I've used Walmarts cheap Tech2000 oil and filters for more years than I care to remember!

And have ran it as long as 12,500 miles between changes a couple of times and I average 7 to 7500 miles between changes now!

ONLY b/c I commute in a carpool and we drive about 65 to 70 miles a day round trip! Therefore my engines are always ran long enough to steam any moisture out of their oil so that they never crud up!!

The inside of the engine turns some brown, but I handle that by adding a half a small bottle of good old MMO both in the oil and in my gas tank about every other change and it does me FINE imho!!

THAT SAID!!

If I was to only drive around town for 2 or 3 miles at a time or on dusty roads, I would change it a lot sooner, probably around 3,000 like I used to do when I ran around everywhere when I was a kid!

pdq67

#12 ·
It did say SF up on the corner of the bottle. Also on the back it had detergent underlined. I also would not even think about running some no name oil just because it was cheap but without the ability to get the oil we need it looks like it might be better then nothing. I had hoped it was some older oil that they bottled up to get ride of. If I can get by there today I will buy one and post a couple pics.

#13 ·
Well the oil brand was UNI-Lab not UNI-Tech and the model year was 1988 not 1998. I picked one up and snaped a couple pics.I does not say anything on the bottle to indicate it it recycled oil.Sorry the pics came out blurry.

#14 ·
API Standards address the additive package, and are very concise and strict.

API "SF" is a good oil that is very suitable for high performance engines with flat tappet cams. Specs have changed over the years, the current API spec oil for new cars would NOT meet SF specs (not enuf zinc, etc) just as SF oil would not meet current specs (too much zinc?)

comments?

#16 ·
there should be a law that they have to put on a label that states exactly who makes what brands of oil, instead of that "distributed by.." crap they always put on the label.
i'm gonna guess that it's probably identical to some name brand oil, with a different label on the jug.

#17 ·
Generally I am a proponent of using the cheapest oil that the engine manufacturer recommends. I will use any oil that carries the API doughnut without hesitation, and the only thing that makes me hesitate with this oil is that it does not have the API doughnut on the label.

TTFN
Mat

#18 ·
Made for '88 and earlier cars, but has a Fourth Gen Camaro on the front label.
Label states it meets API SF rating. Company does not want to pay for the API testing to get the API donut.

Ask Dol Gen Corp for an Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) sheet. It will list the ingredients.

#20 ·
Went by and bought a quart of this oil to check it out. I still have a bottle of GM EOS and if "smell" means anything, this oil has plenty of zinc in it ,as it smells just like the EOS.
It is new oil and not reclaimed. Claims to be API SF rating. I did give three other brand (modern engine oils) the smell test and they just have a slight oily smell. I'm going to give it a try in my engine.

#22 ·
My uncle was the terminal manager for sun oil refinery in Rhode Island,car and driver tested some brands of oil,Sears oil was rated #1 and sun oil brand was somewhere below 10.He said they were the same oil,just put into different containers.So I think this oil should be fine,its not like dg makes their own oil,they have to buy from someone.
Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.