Team Camaro Tech banner

I want my car LOUDER!!!

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  zlek131 
#1 ·
I have a bone stock 2000 SS except for a borla catback and I think that my catback is way to mellow for my liking I want my car to sound like a beast like if it had a nice size cam. I was thinking of headers but the salesman at my local speed shop told me thats not the way to go, headers wont do anything because I don't have any other hi-performance parts so he recommend changing the muffler so I've been looking at flowmaster's 80 series or something from magnaflow. Any recommendations?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Everett his Borla exhaust is in line with what you have... :eek:

David - headers would add noticeable horsepower without other modifications, (the sales guy was setting you up for the big score with his sales pitch) and would change the sound of your current exhaust and possible make it louder! A cam won't really effect how loud the engine is but it will change the what the engine sounds like.

I'd suggest adding headers and electric cutouts, that way most of the time you are not attracting the wrong attention but when you want it loud you are running open headers.

#4 ·
Thanks, Dennis, for the match.
Correct, a camshaft will not change the volume of loud, just the 'pattern' of the sound.

I don't think there is much difference between the sound now and cutouts, or, am I just getting old and all sounds the same?

#5 ·
headers and cut outs will be the loudest you can run , heck its open headers ! slp loud mouth 1 has no muffler at all but it is 2 into 1 back into 2 . its huge though and restriction is minimal . its a chambered exhaust ( the chamber is 4" , like your dryer exhaust in your house ) . with a off road y pipe its actually a good loud set up . i believe they sell 4 different muffled versions also . slp was the one of the original LS1 f body parts supplier and tuner . they have many different ( or they did ) styles .

#10 ·
Now I'm getting cheap, the salesman has me thinking maybe I should try swapping out my muffler for a more aggressive one first then maybe headers later. The problem is there are so many different brand's I don't know which one I should get, I wish I could try tgem all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 · (Edited)
I think the SLP Loudmouth I (part 31044) is one of the louder ones. They used to be all over ebay. There is a Loudmouth II (part 31042) that is quieter. Supposedly as long as you leave the cats intact the LM-I doesn't get annoying. Either are still for sale on Summit.

Completely stock LS1 with Loudmouth:

Stock LS1 with Loudmouth II

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.