Team Camaro Tech banner

Battery relocate question

19K views 69 replies 11 participants last post by  yellow69RS 
#1 · (Edited)
Picking a radiator setup for an upcoming LSx swap into my '69, and trying to decide on something with both hose ports on the passenger side, or split side-to-side. I'm not fond of the idea of a hose snaking across the front of the engine, and it'll be right below the intake as well. Too cluttered.
I've already got a new aluminum rad\fan setup that works great with a small block, but the inlet\outlet are split and there's no trans. cooler fittings.

Can I get away with a remote trans cooler (already mounted in the car now), or is it advisable to have the trans cooling part of the radiator? That's probably personal preference I'm sure.
:)

Thanks

#2 ·
Re: LS2 cooling question

TCI says to trash the radiator trans cooler. Just run a axillary cooler. I guess they find the radiator cooler in the system causes less heat to be removed. I guess.
That's the instruction that came with my new TH400.

#3 ·

That's basically my thought process as well. I haven't had an issue, and why introduce heat from 2 sources to the radiator?
My fan setup is tight so I won't have an issue with it, but I gotta route a house across the front and I wanted to avoid that.

I just wondered if one setup was better for an LS cooling system, or if it's 6 of one and a half dozen of another when it comes to the radiator.

#4 ·

By OE design, the 4th Gens have a drvr side inlet port on the radiator.
HAs tube running across from the engine, but, has elec fans rather than an engine driven fan, so this bridge is crossed.

I'm sure someone out there has a double pass radiator.
I run an external cooler after the radiator cooler. You can never have the trans oil cool enough, nor have I heard/seen a trans failure for too cool of fluid.

#5 ·

You can either swap the radiator, or swap the water pump to one with the upper port on the side you want. Gotta check the GTO drive pulley setup to see what the distance from the block is- the F body, Corvette and truck setups are all different distances, but I'm not sure which one the GTO matches.

#6 ·

On the GTO they both face the passenger side. Not sure on the Corvette.
I've seen where people have used an unGODLY long Silverado upper hose to snake up and around and all the way over to the drivers side. NOT happening. I'd rather it be short and low under the intake if I absolutely have to. I'm just trying to get away with not buying a radiator so I have no choice but to do it that way. Or buy a radiator and lose the rear discs.
;)

#7 ·

I really don't think you can over cool a tranny in the 48 continuous states. Just run the biggest cooler you can fit, heat is the tranny killer.
Mine has been this way since I put the first motor in (13+ years ago) no issues.
I'm looking at using my stock radiator (w/ elect. fans) and an upper hose for a 2005 Silverado which goes across the radiator. But there are plenty of ideas you could use....all depends on your set-up.

#13 ·

Entropy makes a nice LS radiator/fan combo. About $700. Although if you have a good setup now I would get creative with the radiator hose routing. Maybe some polished tube with silicon couplings.

Spectre makes 69 intakes for both pass and drivers side.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Spectre/Spect...ke-Kits/1802659/10002/-1?pno=3&itemPerPage=30

You could move battery to trunk and go that way.

If you go trunk mount battery I suggest you run a solenoid in the trunk so the battery cable is only hot when starting.

#15 ·

You could move battery to trunk and go that way.

If you go trunk mount battery I suggest you run a solenoid in the trunk so the battery cable is only hot when starting.
We would never let him do it any other way.:noway:

#19 ·

It's "Rollin'" now- getting it runnin' will be a different story....lol

Ordered my water pump and the brackets to make my drive system work today. Check out Lsbrackets.com- he has some smart and inexpensive (relative to other drive packages) ideas.

#21 ·

I remember seeing on LS1tech that the LS3/L76 waterpump outlet were on the driver's side. I think they would fit your LS2 if I'm not mistaken.

I just picked up an LQ9 yesterday, and will need a water pump with a driver's side outlet. And I read that the L99 Camaro water pump will keep the truck accessory spacing, with a driver's side outlet.

**don't quote me on any of this. I'm an LS newbie at the moment.

#23 ·

I hate to start cracking bolts on this thing (just brought it home this morning!), so I think for now I'm just going to work with the current setup. I can always mod things later on if I have to.
But that's good info to know Brent. :thumbsup:
I'm in the same boat. Just brought it home last night. I was going to start pulling it apart today but I think I'm going to wait until I can get it onto an engine stand before trying to disect this thing.

#25 ·

The 2010-2012 Camaro water pump is a driver side outlet and lines up with the truck accessories from what I heard. I went with a 2000 Camaro pump to clear my throttle body and ordered spacers from lsbrackets.com to bring it out to align with the drive belt. I don't have a radiator, so I'll just order one with both outlets on the passenger side.

#35 ·

I think I know what solenoid it is. Same one I replaced in a friends '68 Cougar? Is there a simple diagram how it should be wired up? There are posts on it that probably don't get used, correct?

Something like this? Obviously I won't use the I terminal.
Did I miss something? What's with the red cable leading to the solenoid and then to the starter from the same terminal on the solenoid? That just makes the solenoid a junction block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.