Team Camaro Tech banner

small block Chevy weight?

26K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  puff puff 
#1 ·
What does a bare small block chevy weigh?

#3 ·
Complete engine, 535 to 575.

#6 ·
Ya want me to put it on the scale again? How would it affect your life it if weighed 150#? Are you talking about an early 283 block with thick walls or a 400 block with siamese walls? 2-bolt mains or 4-bolt mains, those bolts also weigh something. Standard bore, undecked or a .060" overbore with the deck cut to 9.00"? How much does 15 cubic inches of iron weigh?

#7 ·
He, He!!

When I brought my car and ALL my crap home a while a go, I barrow'd my S-i-L's Ranger II and didn't remember the dam tailgate latch was broke !!

So I just puffed up, bent down, grabbed my bare 283 block and YANKED it up AND over the darn near heart/chest high top of the tailgate and went on about my business and liked ta coughed!!

Heck, back when I was on the RR as a 20 y/o punk kid, a 200 pound spike keg was a piece a cake!! What w/ me weighing 135 pounds or so!!

I used to pack RR ties up outta the bottoms of the fills on my shoulders!!

pdq67

#11 ·
Right, I'm 61 now!
Well Georgia Sam he had a bloody nose
Welfare Department they wouldn't give him no clothes
He asked poor Howard where can I go
Howard said there's only one place I know
Sam said tell me quick man I got to run
Ol' Howard just pointed with his gun
And said that way down on Highway 61.

#13 ·
Wow - old thread ...

I weighed ... just a completely BARE Block on my scale, 167 lbs.
So - "BARE" - as in no bearings, caps or other bolt-on parts ...
That's about right for a pre-late-70's block :thumbsup:

I'll let Paul know l:)

#15 ·
Though it sounded a 'Hair High' ;)

#16 ·
i think the current stockers weigh about 180.

The bowtie 159 block weighs about 200. This is the block i've got my eye on because you can get 400+ cubes out of it AND have durability past 500hp. Can i stock 400 block offer this? But i digress........

The aluminums weigh anywhere from 90-100lbs which is pretty dam impressive but they cost like $4000...............

And aluminum v-6 bowtie block weighs about 78 which i find to be really impressive and it's what i really wanted. Unfortunately finances ,among other things, makes this a distant improbability.

P.S. i think a stock block could handle 500+ 650ish HP for about 40-50 1/4 mile runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.