Team Camaro Tech banner

1971 Z28 LT-1 Block, Heads, Valve Covers

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  69z28freak 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was told in another forum that this is where I should post this question. If this is not the right place I apologize.

I have a bare 1971 LT-1 block with heads and the LT-1 valve covers. i bought it back in 1976 and ran it in my 67 chevelle ss. It has never been bored. It has the extended main bolts that support the windage tray and the heads are the large chamber 202 intakes. screw in rocker studs with push rod guide plates. I was wondering what they might be worth?

Thanks,

Steve

#2 ·
The Suffix numbers on the front of the block would be needed to give you an even close 'guesstimate' ;)

Also needed would be;
Is this an '010' block?
Is the Forged Crank still with it?
What Head number(s).
Any work done to any above ...

#3 ·
If you could mate it up with the original car it would be the best and most lucrative for the both as well. In that case assuming the dates and numbers and etc I would easily give $3000. If my car was something real special M22 RS Z in nice colors etc then I may pay more as the increase in value of the car would be significantly more than 3k.

However if it just an engine close to a cars build date it is just that, close, in that case it may be worth 1500-1800 outside.

#4 ·
Here is a little story on how i acquired the engine. Way back when I was in High School I worked as a VW mechanic half days and school half days. I was taking a two hour automotive class in high school and needed a project. One of the mechanics i worked with said that he had a 71 z28 and he had spun a rod bearing while racing. he said that when he pulled the engine that it only had 30,000 miles on it. i needed a project and he wanted to get rid of the engine so i bought it for 250.00. i rebuilt the engine in high school and installed it in my chevelle. i believe him when he said 30,000 miles because i remember when i pulled the pistons there was still cross hatch in the cylinders. i do know that it has a standard bore and when i put the engine back together i had the heads milled .010. a couple of years later i ended up spinning a rod bearing myself so i pulled the engine and sold the car. the block was never damaged it just has surface rust from all these years. i gave the weiand intake and holley double pumper to my brother who had a 70 ss camero. about 15 years ago i took the block and heads to a machine shop because i was going to rebuild it. long story short the whole thing came up missing. i had to dig through a pile of blocks and heads to find them. the pink rods i could not find im sure one of the guys that worked at the shop took them. the guy i bought the engine from showed me pictures of the car and it was a dark green z28 from ogden utah. i remember looking the numbers up and everything pointed to a 330 hp engine. maybe the car is still on the road who knows. i will get the numbers and post them. Thanks for all of your input.

#5 ·
Update: 1971 Z28 LT-1 Block, Heads, Valve Covers

Hi,

Here is an update on the casting numbers.

Back corner by the bell housing. (3970010) It is a 010 high nickel block.

Front tab after the vin. (V0309CGP) 330 hp LT-1

Head casting numbers on both heads. (3973487) large chamber 75cc 2.02 Intake 1.6 exhaust used on 71 & 72 350 LT-1 the heads were milled ten thousands back in 77, other than that no work has been done on the block.

Thanks,

Steve

#6 ·
To most it's just an '010' 4" SBC ...
To the person restoring the original vehicle it was installed in - if it still even exists - it the OEM installed unit and worth more ... if most of the identifiable parts come with it.
The fact that the heads are already milled (straight or angle?), the HD rods are missing, the crank use in unknown and by this time a clean-up bore, and proper prep work, would be required to have a fully functional and dependable unit -I would count those as non-possitive reasons to pay more for this block if it wasn't going into a very nice 'numbers' restoration of the original vehicle.

"IF" - I had the vehicle I would offer a replacement block (machined or not - your choice) for you to build and up to @$3K for it.

'IF' - I just had a 71 'Z' and was looking for a date/Suffix correct block I would think it would be worth a 'couple $K' at most. And a 'trade' block if you wanted one ...

Here is a comparative 71 Suffix - Rust Metal Wheel

#9 ·
I just had the same motor built and included the distributor, intake, clutch, water pump, flywheel, heads, valves, cam etc. A full complete running motor. All machining, assembly and the motor including all the parts I mentioned for 3K. Note that is in Canada, so my guess is that it could be done even cheaper in the US. Also note the motor came with original crank, pink connecting rods & 11 to 1 domed original pistons. Heads are 492 angle plug over the counter heads. Since I didn't just buy the parts only and had it built and machined I can't tell you exactly what the parts are worth, but you can easily deduct the labour and come up with a number.

So are you saying you only have the block, heads and valve covers? No crank, pistons or valves? That will make a big difference in value IMO. I have sen bare block DZ blocks go for $1000.00 to $1500.00 around here. Yours would be worth less IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.