Team Camaro Tech banner

Rear leaf spring problem

10K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  Trickpony4 
#1 ·
I am not sure how to post this in the right area. I replaced the original rear springs on my '69, because the rear eye of the spring would hit the frame rail if I ran over any kind of bump at all. With a tank of gas, and a passenger in the car with me, they eye would rub a little on the frame rail.

So, in trying to remedy that, I purchased a set of OE looking 5 leaf springs from D&R last November. I finally got around to installing these springs a couple of weeks ago.

My problem is now worse! The sound is embarrassing if there is a passenger in the car with me. It's much better without the other 150 lbs in the passenger seat, so this is a sensitive weight issue too.

These springs are manufactured by Camaro Specialties in New York. Since it's past 30 days since I purchased these springs, no one wants to do anything much.

If you understand the problem I am describing, have any of you heard of this before? Did I happen to get a weak set of new springs? When the spring is standing in the floor, it measures 9 3/8's of an inch between the floor and the top of the spring, right at the center bolt. The shackles are stock, and all the bushings are new.

Thanks,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you replaced the shocks ? What kind are they ?

#4 ·
Did you replace the framerail bushing for the shackel? I think you said you did, but sounds like a bushing problem, or wrong shackel. The springs are to be tightened with the weight of the car on them, is that how you did yours? Is it possiable that your framerails are wallard out? Just thinking. Have had eighteen Camaro's and never this problem.

#5 ·
Yes sir, the shackle bushings are new, (Moog), the shackles are correct for the car. They have an S stamped on them. The frame rail holes are round. This car looks like a two or three year old car underneath. I think there is a problem with the springs. The problem is worse now, than when the car had the 44 year old springs in place, and the bushings were worn out. As you know, when the weight of the car is on the springs, that shackle is tilted farther back towards the frame rail. I still tightened them after I had the weight on the springs.

#6 ·
Sounds almost like the leafs are too long. Have you measured them against the originals? I had a 69 years back that had a knocking noise when carrying a full tank of gasoline. The problem I found was the U-bolts on one side were loose causing the spring to, sorta float I guess and wore the upper bushing out.

#7 ·
As the car sits normally with a full tank of fuel, the shackles should be at a right angle to the frame member.
If the shackles are angled to the rear, and the car sits relatively level - rocker panel almost parallel to the floor/ground, then spring is too long.
If car sits nose up excessively, then not enough arch in spring.

You have measured the new spring free standing height, as asked, have you measured the old spring? Compared the rest of the old spring to the new spring?

#8 ·
Pictures!

#9 ·
When I took the old original springs out and stood them beside the new ones, the arch, and everything pretty much matched up. Maybe that should have been my first clue, but figured the new springs would be stronger. As soon as the car is jacked up, under the differential, those shackles are swaying towards the rear. The length from the center bolt to the center of the rear eye is 31 inches. That is the same dimension that most springs I see for sale. Pictures? I don't know what pictures I could take and post that would help anyone to see why the rear eye is up against the frame rail.

#10 ·
Chris, I went out and measured. Yep, about 31" eye-center to locating bolt.
So,,,,,, new correct springs, new bushings,,,,,, what else is there but the shackles? Would you crawl under there and get the center to center dimension?

#16 ·
Do you have extra wide tires on?

I ask because mine rubbed both inside the wheel wells and on the fender lip.

It was mostly the fender lip rubbing against the outside of the tire wall that caused this and it was hard to see but it was very evident after I used tire black.

What I noticed then after driving was that a part of the inner fender was loaded with that tire black stuff. In my case it was just a little rub (a rib on the sidewall of the tire) and I was able to lightly grind off the offending overhang of the fender without getting into the area where the inner and outer fenders are welded together.

Anyway problem solved for me.

#18 ·
No sir, the tires are not an issue here at all. This car is like the month after it was built,,,,,,,,,except the springs I thought were sagging, being 44 years old. Now the new expensive ones are worse!

#17 · (Edited)
I'm guessing you have the wrong shackles on your car. I just went out and measured mine (hard to get exact) but real close to 3 1/2" C-C. Mine are Hotchkis, but I don't believe they were different than stock. I can easily get my fingers between the spring eye and the frame rail with a little extra wiggle room at ride height.

Shackles that are too short would definitely explain why you had the same problem with 2 different sets of springs.

edit - Well scratch that. Just did a search and someone measured a stock shackle off of the car - 3 1/8" C-C

#21 · (Edited)
Oh man,, sorry to be away so long Chris but I've been checking out your gorgeous car.

It seems to me that if all is as intended, the spring eye shouldn't hit regardless of load. The bump stops above the axle would stop excessive movement. Also the pinion snubber might get involved too. But those would happen with crazy-heavy load, static or dynamic.
Something isn't as designed. Sure would love some pictures.

Here's mine. I just went under there and pulled the gas tank for this shot.;)
All original except the exhaust. And it's sitting on jack stands under the axle.

The other side.

Also notice, for what it's worth, the top of the tire is visible when on the ground. These are 16" wheels, 50 series gatorbacks.
I notice yours are much more hidden.

AND HOW'S THE WEATHER down there? Ours is great. Normal rain.:rolleyes:

#22 · (Edited)
Ruler Tool Wood

Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Mid-size car

Auto part Vehicle Car Wheel
uote=BobKovacs;1773583]You said the shackles have an "S" in them- not sure what you mean- stock shackles are just two straight pieces- one in each side.[/quote]

No sir, stock shackles aren't just straight pieces. The "S" is stamped in the outboard side of each half of the shackle

Hopefully, I did the links right~~~

#23 ·
No sir, stock shackles aren't just straight pieces. The "S" is stamped in the outboard side of each half of the shackle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741301@N04/8408884765/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29741301@N04/8409979038/in/photostream/

Hopefully, I did the links right~~~
Ohh- you're talking about the dimple- I thought maybe you had offset shackles or something. Most aftermarket shackles like you get with a suspension upgrade kit are just 1/4" or so thick plate.

#24 · (Edited)
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Car Rim Vehicle
Well, I can't take pics like that now. One spring is out of the car, and the tank is almost full of fuel, but my shackles only hang like that when the car is jacked up, and the rear end is just hanging on the springs. In these pics, you can see to the right of the hole in the subframe where the shackle bushings go, where the top of the spring eye has been hitting. The left rear, I believe is worse.

I guess I haven't figure out how to post pics like you're doing Fred.

#25 ·
Chris, those shots are from my web site using the little yellow box above the typing box. It requires a URL. The other way is to join up by paying your money. You can tell those who did, like me, because our names appear in gold. That lets you upload from your computer.
So, for now just keep using your picture service.

Again Chris, I only see two possible causes; spring flat or shackles too short.

#28 ·
Good job on the picture Chris, but the top one didn't come through. I'll have to get back under there to compare my dimensions but yours look way too small. Maybe you can change them for longer ones. Also, no mail has come in to me.

#33 ·
Mail-reply sent to you Chris.

#34 ·
Chris, I see that you posted more pictures in previous posts. Those shackles are too short. I'll bet you:beers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.