Team Camaro Tech banner

New U-joint stiff, normal?

36K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Fred Ficarra 
#1 ·
I replaced the rear U-joint when I install my 12 bolt. The front U-joint rotates and moves around freely. But the new one seems very tight. The cups that will mount in the yoke to the pumpkin of course turn with ease. But the part that is mounted in the yoke with the clips rotates very stiff. The cups look like they are right up against the clips. Is this normal for a new U-joint to be so stiff? :confused:

#2 ·
They can be stiff. I used to seat the cups by tapping the yoke so as to seat the cups and clips into the yoke. Its difficult to explain... I would support the joint between two blocks of wood on the horizontal sides of the joint then I would tap on the upper most part of the yoke seating the cup and clip into the yoke, then do the opposite side cup. then seat the other part of the yoke inbetween the two blocks and repeat the process. That usually freed things up nice..

Milan

#3 ·
Examine how the caps meet up with the core real closely. It's not uncommon to get a needle wedged between the end of the cap and the core. As a result, one cap won't seat fully onto the core. If both caps are seated, you're probably ok.

#4 ·
The caps seem to both be seated evenly, no gaps or anything unusual. Just stiff. I previously installed the shaft but felt uneasy about the stiffness. I have not run it either as it is still to snowy out. I want my first ride with the new 12 bolt posi to be a good one. Not one where I brak down because I did something stupid or prevented.

#10 ·
I just went through the same thing. I installed new u-joints and two of the three pivots were stiff.

I did a little research and read that new u-joints should NOT be stiff. To fix the problem I pulled off the c-clips and tapped the caps back. I used a hammer and flat punch. I didn’t have to push them back very much—I just gave them a few light taps on each side.

I think I had pushed the caps too far in and they were binding. I pushed them in that far so I could get the c-clips in.

The light taps on each cap freed up both stiff joints. The c-clips barely catch, but they are in there. Make sure you take the c-clips out before you tap the caps back. If you don’t pull the clips, the caps won’t move.

#12 ·
You can leave the clips in and press, or pound with something suitable, the caps that are in the other 'plane' in a way that seats the caps in the yoke firmly against the clips. The center of the clip may bulge out just a little. Kind of hard to explain like someone else stated. It's not difficult though. Then tap the yoke lightly with a hammer where the caps are seated. They will loosen right up.

Mark

#13 ·
Did that as soon as I got home. I used a 2x4 against each cup in the other plane and gave them a rap with the Ford tool in each direction to push outward on the cups. Still seemed to be a little tight so then gave each cup a little rap using a punch at the top and bottom of both tight cups and everything loosened right up. Now that that is fixed. On to the next project! Thanks guys! :thumbsup::thumbsup::hurray:

#14 ·
Don't ya love stuff like this?:hurray::D:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.