Team Camaro Tech banner

Input on clutch selection for 69 z/28 all stock

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  69zee 
#1 ·
I got my car a year ago. 69 z/28 80k miles and all original. I only drove it twice before the heater core went and the can of worms went all over the place. 6 months went by while I did a complete bumper to bumper mechanical rebuild. The trans was checked out and new seals installed. The engine was freshened with new bearings rings etc. Still a standard bore with original pistons etc.
I have been fighting a vibration at 3500 rpm since I got it on the road. Nothing made sense since everything was original and should have been balanced. The clutch was the only variable (after the new harmonic balancer was put in because the old one had a slight wobble). I finally pulled the trans and clutch last night and vibration went away. The new clutch I installed was the culprit. So now I need another and I was wondering what everyone else is using? I will not be going to the drag strip and I do not want to have a super hard pedal. Something smooth and high quality so I don't have to go through this again. Cost is not really an issue at this point. I just want a good reliable smooth clutch. Any ideas?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I relaced mine with a Zoom Muscle Car Seies , and works great.

#10 ·
Two years ago, put a new motor in my 1969 Camaro with 4 speed. Also went with the ZOOM Muscle car clutch, not a bad price either, I do not race the car, and it seems to be great. I have never done a clutch before. I pulled the motor and trans together and put it all back together outside of the car, then once in adjust the clutch rod, and that is it. I would get another one if I needed it. Thanks, Jerod

#12 ·
Centerforce is a good clutch. With that said it is about two or three times the price of the Zoom and can be a pain to adjust. I have used Centerforce in a race car, but love the Zoom in my street car like I stated before.

#14 ·
I am using the Centerforce CFII single disc with short t/o bearing , Its been the car over 10 years and still bites well . Put it in and forget it. I do used the adjustable pivot arm ball and factory "632" fork with my TKO.

#15 ·
So I took my Sachs clutch and pressure plate with my flywheel in to the machine shop. They spun it up and the clutch unit measured over 100g out of balance. I just hope I did not do damage to the bearings in the 100 miles I put on the car. The flywheel itself was only 4g out. After all your input and conversations with my new machine shop I ended up going with the closest OE replacement I could find. I went with an AC Delco unit. We balanced the flywheel and then spun it up again with the new clutch unit installed. Everything was balanced to 3.5g. I installed it in the car and the vibration is gone. The engine was very smooth with nothing attached. I do get just a tiny vibration with clutch and flywheel installed. Still 95% better than it was. Trans will be going back in soon and a road test will tell the whole story. Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.