Team Camaro Tech banner

Type F Fluid in Chevy Transmissions??????

15K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jakeshoe 
#1 ·
A LONG time drag racing friend of mine (Ford Guy) suggested I use Type F fluid in my Turbo 400.

His theory is that the clutch material in the Fords are meant to slip somewhat and Type F does not have additives since the clutch material slips.

GM clutch material does not slip, so the fluid has additives so the clutches will slip somewhat.

By using Type F non-slip fluid with the non-slip clutches, you have NO SLIPPING.

I did use Type F in my last tranny, it lasted for 3 1/2 years as opposed to only 2 years for the previous two trannies with the Dextron.

I just wondered if any other racers or tranny guys have had any experience with this. Looking for any and all opinions since I'm getting another tranny rebuilt.

#3 ·
As Harley suggests, and I suggest also, if trans is born with DEXRON, keep it Dexron.

If new clutches and manf of the clutches gives a choice of either, I'd go with Type F. ONLY if NO Dexron has touched the clutches.

Now, a neighbor of mine did just the opposite, drained Type F and puored in Dexron. His Ford went no where. He drained Dexron and added Type F, worked just fine.

#6 ·
I agree with Everett. If your trans has Dextron II keep that fluid in there. If it it is currently being rebuilt with new clutches, bands, etc then it's ok to use Type F.

Most people I know have found that draining & filling the trans with Type F especially in a daily driver that sees several thousand miles per year results in the same thing as switching to synthetic oil in my 1999 Ford Explorer. You can say kaboom to both your engine & tranny after doing that.

The SSG&H Bottom Line: Unless it's brand new with zero miles or it is currently being rebuilt, keep what is in it!!

#7 ·
I ran type F in my TH400 for 14 years without any problems. When I went to type F the trans was just built and did not have any Dexron in it. Now I use Redline synthetic.

#9 ·
The tranny will be rebuilt and will not touch any Dextron.

I knew about the Trick Shift "secret".

I was just checking to see if anyone else had any experience with using the Type F fluid. It seemed to shift harde than the Dextron and seemed to hold up better in my last transmission.

Thanks for the replies.

#10 ·
I have no problem with Type F in a new trans. Its just if it was Dexron in service, then change to Type F, trans won't work.

New clutches, Type F, no problem. Mystery solved, trans runs great. Like I said, if Dexron touched clutches, then Dexron it is for its service life.

#11 ·
I suggest Dex/Merc fluid in all the Glides and 3-speeds I build. The "must use Type F" deal is bunk. It has less lubricity than the Dex/Merc fluids do, and don't believe those who try to tell you a trans will slip with anything other than Type F. I've run over 1500 hp through a Glide using ordinary Dex/Merc fluid. If heat becomes an issue use Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

#14 ·
The fluids will mix fine, they are required to by federal law. Using one or the other isn't going to cause an immediate failure. Mixing them isn't going to cause a failure, and changing the type of fluid you are using isn't going to cause a failure.
Each fluid was designed with a specific purpose. Type F was designed for transmissions that used a bronze friction element. These transmissions haven't been in use for years. So Type F is a dying breed as far as ATF is concerned and there isn't any need to use it. It has lower thermal resistance than Dexron and is simply a lower quality fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.