Team Camaro Tech banner

replace 67 camaro heater core

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thorpe67RS 
#1 ·
I am replacing the heater core in my 67 SB Camaro.
I was told I could turn the box box upside down and
use a 68 box and that would move the copper tubes
where thay were more accessable. What do you think?
Will I have to take off the front fender to do it?

#2 ·
I'm not sure what is meant by turnining it upside down. The heater core is inside the passenger compartment - under the dash. You will have to remove some bolts on the engine side, but the fender can stay on. :)

#3 ·
I am replacing the heater core in my 67 SB Camaro.
I was told I could turn the box box upside down and
use a 68 box and that would move the copper tubes
where thay were more accessable. What do you think?
The heater box is the same for a small block in 1967 and 1968, I suspect they are confused with the big block heater box. The big block heater box has the copper tubes coming out in the middle of the heater box.

#4 ·
You dont have to remove your fender to change the heater core. You will have to pull the nuts of the studs on the firewall where the heater box goes thru. Remove your glove compartment box and you can pull the heater box back to expose the heater core. ie..all done inside the car under the dash. Its actually pretty easy..took me less than hour when i did mine.

#5 ·
Where are you guys that are changing the heater core from the inside getting your cores? I've changed a couple lately and the bend on the tubes attached to the core prevent it from threading through the firewall holes. The only way I could get it done was loosening the fender and removing the core cover from the engine compartment side PITA!

#6 ·
Not sure what to tell you. Theres not a lot of wiggle room for sure but mine went thru with no real problems. Did it on both the Camaro and Firebird and it worked for both. Wish i could be more help. Oh..forgot to answer your question...I got both cores from Advance Auto. Which i believe were made in Mexico...not sure how thats gonna work out in the long run. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.