Team Camaro Tech banner

T350 shift point

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Steptoe 
#1 ·
I'd like to move my first gear shift point up. Under medium throttle my transmission seems to want to ditch first gear too early. I'd guess somewhere between 2000-2500 max. This is a street car, so ideally what I'm looking for:

1)Light load driving (using only the primaries) let it shift low... goal is to get to third as quickly as possible for cruising/comfort. Seems to be doing this just fine but at the sacrifice of scenario #2 which is more how the car is driven...

2)Medium load (secondaries active) hold 1st to about 3000, which should equate to about 26 mph on 3.73 gears in the rear/26'' tires per the calculators

3)WOT let the kick down cable do the job, hold to about 4000 or 34 mph

How do I improve my intermediate load shift point? I have a tunable vacuum modulator but it came with no instructions. I think it has a screw inside the hosebarb fitting on the end that can adjust the transmission but I'm honestly not sure what it will affect or how to do it.

Brian

#2 ·
Adjusting the modulator will only change the shift point by maybe 2-3 mph.

Not sure how to adjust mid throttle shift points but on mine I modified the governor with a kit from B&M. So now at full throttle from a stop shift point has moved to 5k rather than 2.5k (or less). Works for me. Nice low rpm shifts when putting around and screaming shift points when wanted. :hurray:

#3 ·
There are 2 modulators... an adjustable and non adjustable...the adjustable has a flat blade screw up inside the end...
This can be very sensive, espec on light and meduim loads.....
I cant rem which way... clockwise/ anti clock is which now....so start turning 1 fu;ll turn see what happens....then turn a full turn in the direct u want to go after road test...
then 1/2 turn , then 1/4 then 1/8 and u will be close onto it till...
you come to your long meduim steep hill that u know u should cruise up in top , but the trans keeps changing back and forth... 1/16 turn will do the final fine tune to taylor to YOUR driving style.

When it come to full WOT changing, yes the above does effect the change pionts a little...but to do so correctly, IF the light load/ med load doesnt suit, will have to be done inside the trans...
For the general cruiser, get the light loads right and generally a manual chopp down change for your exteme showing off BS antics lol

Before making any adjustments thu, make sure the kick down is adjusted correct ....
hold throttle WOT and fully pull on the end of the cable... there should be 3/16" gap play.
Also check, after this adjustement that the kick down is sitting into the trans, not caught up on the pipe.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll start with the external and start turning clockwise to see what happens. If I can't get where I want to be that way, then I'll change the internal governor. With a 2600 stall converter, it's silly to be slipping out of 1st get before I even get locked up.

Brian

#5 ·
The stock governor can be modified to turn up faster. A good trans shop can do it in about a hour or less.

#9 ·
they offered to do the inside work to accomplish the task but recommended first starting with the external canister
Excellent advice...and check the kickdown adjustment AND cable into the trans.
Adjust and drive around for a while to get a feel...readjust if need be. If then doesnt come close to what u want go see you workshop guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.