Team Camaro Tech banner

68 windshield replacement

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JimM 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had a pic or two of their windshield installled in a 68 with no trim on? What I am trying to figure out is how far the windshield goes down. My car was in piecies when I bought it and it had no windshield. I replaced the dash pan and didn't note where the L clips were on the rotten pan. Does the windshield actually go under the corners of the front fenders where it meets the windshield? Also does it go under the cowl grill panel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The windshield sits on 'setting blocks' that are screwed to the top of the fire wall. The windshield does not sit under the fenders on the 1st gen. As far as how far it sits down, 5/16 away from the pinchweld should suffice, you dont want it down to far cause then you would have a gap between the glass and chrome mldg. Dont use butyl tape to install it, use urethane. All hardtops used the W688 windshield and the conv. used the W689

#3 ·
Ragtop nailed it! If you don't have the setting blocks due to panel replacement, simply lay the windshield in the hole, position it where you want it, then use masking tape to make "positioning markers" on the roof line where the edges are. Also, without the blocks, you will NEED to put a strip of painters tape (blue) from the top of the windshield onto the roof and/or sides to keep it in place until the urethane can dry. Ofcourse the best way to do it is to have a glass guy come over and do it for ya. Just explain the circumstances and they can/should do a great job for ya! The part # is DW-688 for first gen birds and Camaros (DW="domestic windshield, fw=foreign w/s) Good luck on the project!

Dano :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.