Team Camaro Tech banner

68 SS396 Replacement Engine

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Unreal 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a camaro in Colorado that is advertised as a true ss396, so I took a look at it....checked all numbers....has tic-toc-tac, gauges, 12 bolt, multi-leaf....seems to be the real deal....anyway the engine number is CE969245 which comes up as a replacement motor....69 model year....the owner told me that the engine was replaced by the original owner 10 months after he bought the car, so the story seems to add up....does anyone know anywhere else I can verify this? If I was to restore the car as original, I will need some proof that the engine is right.

Also, it has the 350 hp 396 and a muncie m22.....this confused me because chevy only offered the m22 on the 375 hp version....at least that's what I thought....any help would be appreciated....thanks.

#3 ·
I don't want to hijack this thread but other than the CE code is there any way to decode the rest of the numbers or don't they mean anything. I have the same engine in my 68SS but I'm not sure of the number sequence.

#4 ·
Its just a serial number for tracking. The range will tell what plant built it, big block will be 50000 and up for Tonawanda

It will CE followed by year, the 5 dgit serial number

The CE coding system was used on block, fitted block, short blocks etc. Do not assume a complete engine, you will be incorrect 99% of the time. If a rod broke and crank/block were done for, they would only replace what was bad and reuse rest of the engine to include, intake, dist, pan, and all other external parts that were still good. Most CE engine are just short blocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.