Team Camaro Tech banner

How do you know when your engine is going bad? Please help

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Vintage 68 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Z28 with 25,000 miles and about half are city driving which I know isnt good. The thing is I dont really "get on it" much, I tend to baby it. I store my car in the winter months and when I bring it out of storage I usually just drive it for a while before getting an oil change. Is this going to shorten my engines life or is there anything that should be done when taking it out of storage in the spring?

#2 ·
condesation can build up in the fluids when it sits. this is why it's good to drive it. Change the oil as soon as you pull it out of storage....there really isn't a excuse not to, it's SO simple and so cheap...

Also, to minimize wear, start running fully synthetic oil. it only costs a few buck more a quart, and as much as your drive, there isn't much of a reason not to....Mobil 1 oil is great, and available in any store that carries oil and any surmountable auto stuff(including Wal-Mart Supercenters)

also you NEED to run your A/C at least ten minutes every month of the year, or else your seals will dry out.

the best thing to do is, I'm sure there is at least one good day every winter month, take it out for a drive, a few easy miles in the city to warm it up, 10 miles on the highway, and at least a few hard miles to clean out build up and "excerise" the motor.

And city miles aren't THAT bad if you run all synthetic oils in your car...they make synthetic in everything, and I run synthetic or racing fluid-everything in my 87 BMW 325is(perfect until the recent hail storm destoryed the perfect body) it has 223K and I can still blow the doors off most cars on the road in a straight line, and a majority of cars on the road in the corners. Cars like our camaros and my BMW are made to be driven, and made to be driven hard.....and at least on my BMW, if you DON'T drive it hard, and often, stuff breaks due to lack of use.

if your already doing these things, don't worry about it.

#3 ·
I like that last post, it makes sense. To answer your question, however, "How do you know when your engine is going bad?", well, it is easy, When your engine starts farting, belching, running rough, providing no power, and smelling bad, then it is either the victim of sudden sabotage, or has merely worn out. It takes YEARS for an angine to actually "go bad" when looked after properly. I mean, my 1981 GMC van has taken our band across the country on our tours on the original engine, and while the cam certainly has a flattened lobe, the unit still gets us around with little argument. To make a long story short, engines are made of metal, and metal is tough. All you need to do is make sure it gets the proper lubrication and attention. As said above, start the damn thing and let it run twice a month or so when in storage. The seals will remain fresh that way. But as far as wear goes, you could let a car stand for 50 years or let it stand overnight, a cold start is a cold start, and is hard on an engine. I know a lot of people hate oil additives, but I found one that I actually had to stop using on customers' engines (I am an OPE Technician) because it was costing me money in that they would go thrice the amount of time before having me service their equipment on a rotation. It is called "Power-up", and I really can't tell you much more than that the stuff works VERY well, and I will use it in my OWN machines forever. I would never put it in a fresh engine though, I guarantee the stuff is so slick that it would actually prevent the proper seating of piston rings in a fresh rebuild!

Anyway, I guess what i am getting at is that you shouldn't be afraid to use your vehicle after storage. Just go out there and fire itup once in a while, and no probs. The comes spring, she'll be ready to rumble.

#4 ·
Lemme get this Your 2000 chevy only has 25000 mile on it and your worried about it going bad?? um what are you running for oil ...lead or metal filings??? dude you whould be getting at least 150,000 miles out of a factory chevy engine... If i was you I would be worried about the transmission, alternator, starter, radiator, power steering, AC or a million other things that chevy had problems with in those cars before the engine would die... the transmission alone will probably need to be replaced twice before the engine kicks it.. You don't drive the car much ... Do what snake eyes says and that cars engine will probably out live you lol

#5 ·
OF course if you feel like you are not spending enough time with you car and that it needs someone who can drive it year round and take better care of it you could aways sell it to me. I live in FL and am in the market for a 2000 Z-28. Fair Price for a Fair car!

#6 ·
Redlinez said:
How do you know when your engine is going bad?
It's habits change -
It stays out later than it used to
It can't account for money it spends
It comes home smelling of strange oils
It argues with you about petty things

Oh - nevermind, I was thinking of something else.
Your engine should be just fine.
The use of synthetic lubricants will help alot.
Use of a good fuel stabilizer or MMM is a good idea also...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.