Team Camaro Tech banner

Original paint scheme vs repaint 69 z/28

8K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Shadodude 
#1 ·
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much a 1969 z/28 is devalued by having been painted a different color than it was born with. The car came off the line green with white stripes, it is now yellow with black stripes. The rest of the numbers all match, it has the original DZ motor, original tranny and rearend, wheels, etc. the car is beautiful, stored inside in temp controlled climate. But, not the original color. How costly is that? Thanks for any help guys.

#3 ·
If you do all the work yourself & can do a professional quality job with a “popular modern day color” like black. You might even increase the value over green to the “right buyer.” If you are not planning on selling the car in the next few years, maybe you should just paint it whatever color turns you on. If you are going to sell it before too long, it’s probably best to keep it totally original because it’s a Z28. Buyers of Z’s can be much more fanatical than buyers of other types of Camaros. For bargaining purposes, the buyer will dog the car if it’s NOT original color, but a potential buyer may well dog the car (bargaining) if it’s GREEN too, even if they secretly LOVE the color.

#4 ·
None of this would be an issue if it was originally Hugger Orange.:D

#5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate all and any of your input, even the hunger orange stuff. Lol. Myself, I like the yellow/black a lot more than the green/white scheme. A friend who has a green and white 69z says the car has been devalued by 20 to 30 thousand, but I disagree that is why I am asking for your guys thoughts. Thanks, like I say.

#8 ·
I think a new Frost Green paint job looks killer, although I'm not sure everyone would agree. repainted my original Frost Green Yenko clone Fathom Green. :)

Certain colors do bring more than others. Painted the original color, and all things being equal, a Hugger or Black Z would sell for more than a FG one....but not the $20K to $30K your buddy quoted.

If you like Daytona Yellow, I'd leave it as is.

#11 ·
The interior is black. I have checked this car out closely, but not taken many pics. It is jammed in a climate controlled storage facility along with 17 others that the gentleman has collected. I will post my pics but they are hard to take when the car is so close to the others that he had to hold the door while I got in to sit in it. Since I took the pics, he has moved it into his work shop so I could check underneath it on his hoist. I will post my few pics tonight. Thanks again guys.

#14 ·
I am in a real quandry here. I have always been a mopar guy, and he has offered me a nice deal on a total restoration of a 1970 440 6pack gtx. the guy has his own rotisserie and the gtx is totally documented and numbers matching, and it is beautiful. But, i have fallen in love with this little z28. In the yellow and black paint, it is so eye catching and does it sound like it means business. It is also numbers matching, except for the paint, and the paint job is excellent. so, i am trying to decide. right now i am sure i am going with the z. He is giving me time, and believe it or not , my wife says i can have either.

#25 ·
and, remember, they were only about 4500 new. this gentleman said he bought his first superbird new, had to get a loan to do it, then sold it for a profit at 8000. had he kept it , he said it would be worth about the 400,000 mark. sold it back then to buy a quarter section of farmland

#31 ·
I hate to say it guys, but I went this morning and purchased the GTX. Although the z is a real beauty and a mean machine, in the end, i could not pass up the mopar machine. I've been a mopar man all my life, but the little yellow and black beast almost won me over.
I want to thank all of you who gave me their time and input.
Maybe see you all at a car show sometime. Take care.

#34 ·
The local family-owned Plymouth dealership where I grew up had the wings and noses from two Superbirds up in their loft for years. They had two of the cars on the lot when they were new, and couldn't give them away- no one wanted them. So, they stripped off the noses and wings, put standard Roadrunner front clips on them, patched the wing holes, and sold them in a week. The kids who inherited the business from the parents sold the noses/wings back a few years ago when the market was hot, and probably got more for those pieces that many of us have in our cars.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.