Team Camaro Tech banner

95 Camaro fuel pump trouble?

20K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave2328 
#1 ·
Hey guys I recently was driving my 95 Camaro home from my dad's and back to my mom's house with very low fuel but I didn't have any money to get gas and my parents (being the generous people they are didn't give me any):p. I pulled into my mom's garage and the car died from having no gas I am guessing. The next day I went to go try and start it up, it sputtered a little while and started, then it sputtered again for a bit and died. Now it just turns over and won't start at all. Some friends said it may be my fuel pump? I'm not sure so I turn to you guys for help. If you have any suggestions at all it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Have or did you try changing the filter first ???

Do a pressure test on the fuel rail to see if the pump or regulator is bad before replacing pump.

#5 ·
I'm with John on this one. It's also common for a lot more debri to be sucked into the pump when the fuel gets low. Of course the debri could have jambed the pump if the pickup screen is torn and chunk of rust got sucked up. In any event, a pressure test is in order. The pressure gauge will also help you purge any air that may be in the system.

You may find it useful to jumper out the fuel pump relay to make it run continuously. I think that will even work with the engine shut off. Doug G posted a diagram of a bosche relay at http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111222&highlight=87a Pull the relay and short pins 30 and 87 together. I think you'll find pin 30 oriented horizontally instead of vertically as the diagram shows though.

#6 ·
My 2 cts - yep, might have gotten some debris in the pump intake. More importantly, in-tank pumps don't like to run less than 1/4 tank, they tend to overheat. Fuel surrounding the pump cools the pump.

Hopefully, its not this drastic and only the pump lost its prime. Jumper the relay socket to make the pump run continously, only after adding 5 gals to the tank, and press the Schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if fuel comes out. At least it will show if fuel is being pumped.

Maybe if no fuel comes out, you might disconnect the supply line to the rail and blow some low pressure shop air through it to dislodge the debris.

#8 ·
Could it possibly be I need to "reset" my engine or something like that? A buddy told me when he had this problem he just put the key in and turned it to the on position and back off a few times and it started right up. He also said to take out my battery and then put it back in if the first way doesn't work. Would any of that have to do with my problem?

#9 ·
Off & On with the key turns on the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds via PCM to prime the fuel rail.

Disconnecting the battery may reset the PCM memory allowing the PCM to return back to Square 1 and relearn the process again.

Certainly can't hurt to try.

#10 ·
Well, I just got my Camaro fixed this past Tuesday and it was the fuel pump. Set me back around 700 bucks :eek: Now, I'm torn between saving up for exhaust...or just keeping this car until I can afford to sell it and move on to something bigger and better. Since it is the 3.4 V6 I don't want to dump too much money into it. Also, it seems my fuel gauge is off. I read a few other posts on here about it and wanted to know if theres anything I can do to make it read more accurately. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.