Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Feb 24th, 07, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

Default Flowmaster vs. Dynomax Recomendations??

Wanted to get some feedback on performance exhaust systems for my '69 Camaro project. Flowmaster or Dynamax? Which is preferred and why? Have any fit issues with either? Which sounds the best?

Also would I be better off running a 2.5" systen or 3" system?
(I was leaning towards the 3")

1969 Camaro
550+ HP SBC
pump gas
Hooker Super Comp Headers with 3" collectors.
TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 24th, 07, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech

Alex Folino

Default Re: Flowmaster vs. Dynomax Recomendations??

Depends exactly on which model you want. I know alot of guys like the super 40 mufflers on their cars.

25 years old. I only drive chevys. Everything else and i do mean everything can rust in piece.

68 owner-The only way to go

Camaro: A small vicious animal that eats mustangs.
Old Feb 24th, 07, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech

I definatly want the bada#& sound and the best system from a performance stand point but I also don't want to advertise I'm coming from 4 blocks away.
Old Feb 24th, 07, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech

I have dynomax on my 68 which are certainly quiter than a 2 stage flowmaster and maybe close to a 3 stage. Regardless of which one you go with, as long as you run a tail pipe over the axle it will cut down on the sound a fair amount.

I personally get way more interior resonation with the dynomax than I care for.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2334689/1
Old Feb 25th, 07, 07:18 AM
Tech Team

Tom

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've run both flowmasters and dynomax in my street/strip 67 Camaro and I found that the flowmasters resonate more and didn't make as much hp as the dynomax, given the same type of muffler. Granted the dynomax had the fiberglass packing and started out real quiet but as I used them more (racetrack and WOT) they got a little louder as time went on. They still allowed my 67 to go faster even at their quietest. I run the dynomax 3" bullets when I race. Hope this helps
Old Feb 25th, 07, 11:00 AM

I used to run the Dynomax super turbo mufflers with 2 1/2" inlet/outlet and dumps before the rear end when I drove on the street, but now is a strip only car with open headers. They would resonate bad enough that I would set off car alarms just idleing by. I found that they were also very restrictive, if I made a pass with the exhaust on then made a pass with the exhaust opened up I would pick up aleast 4/10ths of a second which i figure is approx a 50hp gain, and that is on a mild 406 that only runs mid 12's. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't choose the Dynomax super turbo mufflers.

Last edited by JRausch; Feb 25th, 07 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 07, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech

Marc

Flowmaster doesn't make a high flow muffler. Most are load and resonate a lot in the car. I would go with the Dynomax Ultra Flows for the strip and street. They have a nice mellow sound at low rpms and cruising. At WOT they will come alive and roar a bit. 3" Ultra flows will flow around 1100 cfm each. That's twice what most Flowmasters will do. As for 2 1/2" or 3" I'm not sure what will be best for you, I would probably lean towards 3" if you planning on racing a lot. 3" will be a little loader than the 2 1/2". Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in on the best size you.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2221451

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
Old Feb 25th, 07, 12:05 PM

I agree with Camaro man, out of all the dynomax mufflers the ulltra flows are probably the best ones for street cars, I myself would go with the bullet muffers b/c noise isn't an issue for me and as the car mainly sees track duty and the little bit of back pressure will probably help with low end torque. I know a guy with a well planned out sbc in a '84 chev 1/2 ton that actually et's quicker with oval 3" ultraflows vs. open exhaust.
Old Feb 27th, 07, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it helps. Looks like I'll be leaning towards the Dynomax.
Old Feb 28th, 07, 03:25 AM
Senior Tech

well I kinda like the sound of the flowmaster but the dynomax was deffinately faster.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/742372
Old Feb 28th, 07, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

I highly recommend Dynomax Ultraflo, I went from Flowmasters to Dynomax Super Turbos to Dynomax Ultraflo and love the Ultraflos!! Check out video at

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/exhaust.htm
69 Camaro and 63 Nova
Old Feb 28th, 07, 09:05 AM
Tech Team

borla but not the xr-1 models sound great. Nice and quiet at idle and a nice tone at cruising speeds without that horrible resonance. At wot they scream and these badboys make power.
Old Feb 28th, 07, 05:58 PM
Tech Team

I have 3" Goerlich Xcellerators on mine (check out videos in sig). I've had Spintech (not bad), Flow master 40s AND super 40s (just can't get the Mustang sound out of my head) and Dynomax Ultraflows (too mellow) on this motor. The Goerlichs sound the best BY FAR IMHO. They look exactly like the Ultraflows, but sound A LOT different, at least in my case. At idle they sound wicked (very different tone), not too loud at cruise but WOT will wake the dead (which I like!!). Some of the guys over on the Performance Years site have them on their GTOs and they sound mean on those too. I think that if you are after a unique sound that will make people ask what those mufflers are, give the Goerlichs a try. They are straight through also
Isky 256/260 @ .050, .680/.680
QFT 950

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=MOV00287.flv
Old Feb 28th, 07, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

I'm running Flowmaster 40's with 2 1/2 inch exhast on a 400+ hp 383. All I know is I constantly get people complimenting me on the sound! If you could hear a similar type engines with both brands it would be the best way to decide. Everyone has a opinion on what sounds best. Any of the mentioned mufflers are great choices. Good luck and et everyone know how it turns out!!
Old Mar 1st, 07, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech

Todd

I've used both - the dynomax only once though, hated the sound and the system started rotting out within a year. I has to fight with them but they did send me new pipes - so they kind of stood behind thier product? I have run FM on everything else (dozen or so) and lun the sound and never had a quality issue.
Advertisement