Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Feb 26th, 07, 09:34 PM

Mario

Default power steering pump bracket

i have a 350 and trying to mount the power steering pump but the bottom bracket (that mounts to the water pump) hits the timing chain cover ...the bracket hits on of the bolts that fasten the cover...i have a long water pump...do timing chain covers come in different thicknesses...hope this info helps you help me..thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 27th, 07, 07:22 AM
Team Member

Joe A

Default Re: power steering pump bracket

On my 67 350 P/S brackets,, The bottom bracket bolts to the two holes on the block and does not hit the timing chain cover. Page 366 on the assy manual shows the correct brackets and mounting for the 350 setup. The z28 302 and the ss350 has different brackets. My setup is using the short water pump and everything works fine.

Last edited by camjoe63; Feb 27th, 07 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 27th, 07, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech

Mario -

Welcome to Team Camaro! On both this and your other post (I forget the subject), you'd get better help and quicker if you'd tell us the year of the car, and anything else we may need (like the long Water pump you listed).

There are different things about each of the 1st gen years that we need as much info as we can get to guide in the right direction.

We also have a ton of information here for the searching.
Old Feb 27th, 07, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech

Big daddy

Just got thru this same install,i went to junk yard,found a 1973 chevy pickup with a 350,used all bracket and pwr steering pulley,all for $19.00,plus $1.00 to get in pull-a-part.has to be a 350 because of largeer bal.
Old Feb 28th, 07, 03:45 PM

Mario

thank you all for the replies...i've got a 68 with a 350 that came from a neighbors 70 chevelle...i've purchased Classics power steering bracket set (part number kw799, page 830 if you have a catalog handy)... as you can see that the steering cradle bracket is at a slight angle to be able to mount the pump...the steering adjuster bracket and steering brace would mount correctly only if the cradle bracket was properly set...i hope these pictures help

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...s/IMG_1105.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...s/IMG_1104.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...s/IMG_1103.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...s/IMG_1102.jpg

thanks again everyone
Old Feb 28th, 07, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: power steering pump bracket

You say that you have a 68, are you switching everything to the Long water pump of the '70 engine ? I ask because if you do this, everything must be switched to that of a 1969. You must change all brackets AND pulleys as they are different with a short water pump and a long water pump. You should have installed a Short water pump and used all your 68 stuff. I fail to see your problem in the pictures. The cradle bracket, pivots on the water pump, away from your timing chain cover. Does your car have a/c. If it does you need a two groove pulley on your power steering pump. The power steering pump is different between a '68 and a 69. You have to change your pump too. What you are attempting can be done, but it'll cost ya !
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Feb 28th, 07, 04:30 PM

Mario

yeah thanks tj for the reply...in picture 103 i can't mount the ps pump with the center hole because the bracket hits the timing chain cover...there is no ac. maybe i might have the wrong water pump. it might be a short pump. ive added a picture of the distance from the block to the pump, can you tell me if i have a long or a short pump...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...s/IMG_1112.jpg
Old Feb 28th, 07, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

The dimensions are 7" for a long water pump and 5 5/8" for a short pump. This is from the engine block to the front face of the Fan mounting flange. From the pictures, I would say it is a long water pump. What engine are you replacing ? I ask because you will have to change the cooling shroud and fan clutch assembly as well. Why do you want the long pump. ? What is the bracket that is bolted to the head ? That should not be needed.
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Feb 28th, 07, 11:00 PM

Mario

tj, again, thanks for the replies...would it make my life more easier just to put a small water pump and use the brackets that mount to the block instead of to the wp? And with a smaller wp, do i need to get a new pulley on the wp to line the belts up?
Old Mar 1st, 07, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech

Tom

If you have the short water pump pulleys, Yes you will have to change that pulley as well. The pulley's are different between short water pumps and long water pumps. I don't know what engine was in your car, before this but, just staying (switching back) to a short water pump may save you many headaches.
Old Mar 1st, 07, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

I have looked at your pictures several times, and compared to long pumps, and I just can't tell which water pump you have.

I just want to make sure what I am looking at. Where did the cradle bracket and power steering pump come from? Are there any part numbers on either one?

Second, either way you go you've got stuff to consider. If you go to a short water pump like the 68 originally had, you'll be moving the alternator back over to the driver side with 68 brackets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement