Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old May 25th, 07, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

Default Type F Fluid in Chevy Transmissions??????

A LONG time drag racing friend of mine (Ford Guy) suggested I use Type F fluid in my Turbo 400.

His theory is that the clutch material in the Fords are meant to slip somewhat and Type F does not have additives since the clutch material slips.

GM clutch material does not slip, so the fluid has additives so the clutches will slip somewhat.

By using Type F non-slip fluid with the non-slip clutches, you have NO SLIPPING.

I did use Type F in my last tranny, it lasted for 3 1/2 years as opposed to only 2 years for the previous two trannies with the Dextron.

I just wondered if any other racers or tranny guys have had any experience with this. Looking for any and all opinions since I'm getting another tranny rebuilt.
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 07, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Harley

Default Re: Type F Fluid in Chevy Transmissions??????

Only in drag trannies that I know of...Street car shouldnt have a 'drag' tranny.
Thanks Chief.
Old May 25th, 07, 02:40 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

As Harley suggests, and I suggest also, if trans is born with DEXRON, keep it Dexron.

If new clutches and manf of the clutches gives a choice of either, I'd go with Type F. ONLY if NO Dexron has touched the clutches.

Now, a neighbor of mine did just the opposite, drained Type F and puored in Dexron. His Ford went no where. He drained Dexron and added Type F, worked just fine.
Old May 25th, 07, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

I've used type F in all my GM trannys for years with no ill results.
Old May 25th, 07, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech

Bill

FYI: I put Redline synthetic in a 700R4 thinking it would be an improvement and it slipped like crazy. Used reg. GM type prior and was fine.
Old May 25th, 07, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I agree with Everett. If your trans has Dextron II keep that fluid in there. If it it is currently being rebuilt with new clutches, bands, etc then it's ok to use Type F.

Most people I know have found that draining & filling the trans with Type F especially in a daily driver that sees several thousand miles per year results in the same thing as switching to synthetic oil in my 1999 Ford Explorer. You can say kaboom to both your engine & tranny after doing that.

The SSG&H Bottom Line: Unless it's brand new with zero miles or it is currently being rebuilt, keep what is in it!!
1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
Old May 25th, 07, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

I ran type F in my TH400 for 14 years without any problems. When I went to type F the trans was just built and did not have any Dexron in it. Now I use Redline synthetic.
'69 Camaro - 640HP 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Total Seal rings, hand ported AFR 210 heads, Jesel belt drive, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .660" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 Dominator, Stef's #1705R oil pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 8" converter
Old May 25th, 07, 05:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Back in the old days that was a common "trick." They sold B&M slick shift fluid back then, expensive stuff. Me and my buddies used type F, the tranmissions shifted great.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old May 25th, 07, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech

The tranny will be rebuilt and will not touch any Dextron.

I knew about the Trick Shift "secret".

I was just checking to see if anyone else had any experience with using the Type F fluid. It seemed to shift harde than the Dextron and seemed to hold up better in my last transmission.

Thanks for the replies.
Old May 25th, 07, 07:45 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

I have no problem with Type F in a new trans. Its just if it was Dexron in service, then change to Type F, trans won't work.

New clutches, Type F, no problem. Mystery solved, trans runs great. Like I said, if Dexron touched clutches, then Dexron it is for its service life.
Old May 27th, 07, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

I suggest Dex/Merc fluid in all the Glides and 3-speeds I build. The "must use Type F" deal is bunk. It has less lubricity than the Dex/Merc fluids do, and don't believe those who try to tell you a trans will slip with anything other than Type F. I've run over 1500 hp through a Glide using ordinary Dex/Merc fluid. If heat becomes an issue use Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
Old May 27th, 07, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldani Motorsports View Post
I suggest Dex/Merc fluid in all the Glides and 3-speeds I build. The "must use Type F" deal is bunk. It has less lubricity than the Dex/Merc fluids do, and don't believe those who try to tell you a trans will slip with anything other than Type F. I've run over 1500 hp through a Glide using ordinary Dex/Merc fluid. If heat becomes an issue use Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
Steve is 100% correct (as usual).

Type F is an inferior fluid. Do the research and look at the specs for Type F vs. Dexron. Even Ford doesn't use Type F, that should be reason enough to look at why.
Old May 27th, 07, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech

Patrick

I have used dex then changed to F and had NO problems and drove for years.
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/
Old May 27th, 07, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech

Jake

The fluids will mix fine, they are required to by federal law. Using one or the other isn't going to cause an immediate failure. Mixing them isn't going to cause a failure, and changing the type of fluid you are using isn't going to cause a failure.
Each fluid was designed with a specific purpose. Type F was designed for transmissions that used a bronze friction element. These transmissions haven't been in use for years. So Type F is a dying breed as far as ATF is concerned and there isn't any need to use it. It has lower thermal resistance than Dexron and is simply a lower quality fluid.
Advertisement