Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jul 2nd, 07, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech

Brian

Default Parts list for 4 Speed conversion

Can anyone give me a complete list of parts that I will need for a 4 speed conversion. I would like to get a 4 speed donor car, but they are scarce up here in Canada, so I may have to assemble the parts from used and new parts. I know the obvious parts but there are probably small parts that I would overlook.
Also are there any good kits for pedals, linkage etc. I have a 68, 327 small block.
I know the M 21 is optimal but what other trans could I look for to give me a Street car. Mostly cruising.
I currently own a 1968 Camaro Coupe 327 275 HP L30
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...z/P5170084.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 07, 05:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Default Re: Parts list for 4 Speed conversion

It's really not as much as you'd think.

you'll need a transmission. "Camaro" muncies had the speedo drive on the right. This causes complications with a changeover. Best is to get a big car or vette trans, that way the speedo bable you have will fit.

Bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, & throwout bearing: 10.4 or 11" clutch, pick one. 10.4 would be easier, your starter will fit, and the flywheel and bell are easier to find and cheaper to buy. (can be found used) Clutch, pressure plate and short throwout bearing will be new, from a parts store or summit.

Pedal set, linkage kit, fork: All readily available at the repro houses cheap. Watch out for the clutch fork, lotsa people end up with a "heavy duty" fork, these are really for second gens, and they don't fit right.

Hurst shifter and installation kit, for your 67 camaro, available new from summit/jegs, etc.

Misc. nuts and bolts. repro house or hardware store.

Seriously that is it. Your driveshaft, crossmember, speedo cable, and starter all fit (if you go with the 10.4" clutch and non camaro trans)

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Jul 2nd, 07, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

Picking the right Muncie can make the swap much easier. Look for a Muncie with the following:
  • Studs on the shift shafts.
  • 27 spline output shaft
  • driver side speedometer
  • 1 counter shaft pin
In 1969 the shift shafts were changed from having studs to holes with bolts. You will have problems with the bolt on style shift shafts in your 1968 because the 68 shifter levers wont fit the newer shafts. The old style stud shift shafts can be installed on any Muncie but you may also have to change the side cover.

Sometime in the 70s Muncies went to a 32 spline output shaft with a larger output tailhousing. The Hurst install kit for 1968 Camaros has a U-bolt that goes around the output of the tailhousing and it is designed to work with a 27 splined early tailhousing. Another benefit of the 27 splined output shaft is you can also use your stock driveshaft without any modifications.

Although a Muncie with a drivers side speedometer is not correct in any Camaro, using one will make for a cleaner and easier swap because your current speedometer cable will hook right up. Chevrolet used drivers side speedometer tailhousings from 63-65, and Pontiac used them on GTOs through 1970. The part number for the driver side tailhousing is 3846429 and they will fit any Muncie with a 27 spline output shaft.

63-65 Muncies had a 7/8 counter gear pin. The size of the pin was increased to 1 in 1966. The 66 and newer Muncies are considered to be a stronger transmission. A 64-65 Muncie would be a good choice for a mild small block 67-68 Camaro with the stud type shift shsfts, 27 spline output shaft, and driver side speedometer.

A 66-68 GTO transmission would be even better because you would also get the stronger 1 countershaft pin.

Avoid the 1963 Muncie as it had a weak small front bearing and retainer and required a 1963 only bellhousing with a small pilot hole.

You can also buy any just about any Muncie and change the parts needed to make it fit your application but you are better off buying one with all the right parts in the first place.

Lastly get a new Hurst shifter and install kit (#2916561) designed for 67-68 Camaros. No other shifter will fit as well or shift as smooth.

1956 Bel Air Sport Coupe
Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
Old Jul 2nd, 07, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

Jim

Stewie,

Check my thread out.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98172
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/hubacek1/blue.jpg
Old Jul 3rd, 07, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for. Now the parts seach begins.
Thanks for the tip about the speedo cable.
I currently own a 1968 Camaro Coupe 327 275 HP L30
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...z/P5170084.jpg
Old Jan 1st, 08, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech

Rob

I am in the process of this conversion and thought to hop on this thread. I have a clutch linkage kit coming in and will pick up my 69 m20 tomorrow.

I did a similar conversion on a 72 Camaro 23 years ago. I swear that the fire wall hole was there for the clutch pedal rod to go through. I am looking at the firewall of my 69 and can't see this hole. Am I missing something or do I have to make an access hole for this pedal rod to go through.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1st, 08, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

Jim

If I'm not mistaken, there's an oval shaped cover on the engine side of the firewall that needs to be removed with 2 screws.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/hubacek1/blue.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement