Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

What's it worth? & ebay discussions

Old Jul 18th, 07, 07:59 PM

Default 1981 camaro convertible

I just bought a 1981 camaro convertible from a friend. He was moving out of state and was going to crush the car if i didnt buy it. The car is VERY rough and has no title. The frame and trunk floor is good but the car will need alot. can anyone give me an idea of the rarity and value on this car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 07, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

Default Re: 1981 camaro convertible

Given that convertibles were not available from the factory in 81 (or any second gen year) and the condition you describe and lack of pics, my initial guess would be less than $1K.
Old Jul 19th, 07, 09:03 AM

I was told there were about 400 of these cars sold from the showroom floor in 80 and 81. They werent built at the factory but were sent to a shop then back to the dealer and sold as a convertible. i google searched and could only find that there only 100 of these left.
Old Jul 19th, 07, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech

jason

lets see some pics!
Old Jul 19th, 07, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech

Robert

Go look for input over at www.nastyz28.com .. those guys know there stuff on 2nd Gens. I own a 2nd gen aswell .. but on those like yours... they were'nt done at the factory .. they were sent to some other company that did the transformation . I remember reading a thread on those cars. I personally think they look strange as a Rag Top .
Old Jul 19th, 07, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

I dont really like the looks but here is a pic ........This is a very rare find!! a 1981 Z28 CHEVY CAMARO CONVERTIBLE... NATIONAL COACH ENGINEERING of MICHIGAN converted about 400 between 1979-1981 and only about 100 are know to still exist and almost all are owned by collectors http://photos.aaca.org/showphoto.php?photo=6222
Old Jul 19th, 07, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech

Rusty

Like rob said, go to nastyz28.com I read a thread about them awhile back. I would not crush it!
Old Jul 19th, 07, 06:13 PM

Here are a couple of pics.
http://home.alltel.net/moparfamily/chevy1.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/moparfamily/chevy.jpg
Old Jul 19th, 07, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Bill Miller

I would be careful with the aftermarket verts. I worked for a dealer in the mid 80's and they sold a monte carlo that was done like this. The work was really poor. They had to buy that car back 3 times because you just could not fix the water and air leaks. after a while you could hardly shut the doors! And this car had a full frame. The Camaro is unibody rear with just a frt sub frame. I would be afraid this may be more trouble than its worth.
Old Jul 19th, 07, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

So where would you find a top for one of those? Put it on ebay and see if you can make a buck, then put that money into a first gen!
Old Jul 20th, 07, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
I dont really like the looks but here is a pic ........This is a very rare find!! a 1981 Z28 CHEVY CAMARO CONVERTIBLE
I hate to be negative but Rare doesnt always= valuable.
Old Jul 20th, 07, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
I hate to be negative but Rare doesnt always= valuable.
I never said it did ! I simply copied the paragraph from the link I posted,right below the picture.Personaly I wouldnt give a nickel for that car for many reason's,mostly I dont like the look
Old Jul 20th, 07, 05:41 PM

I didnt post the question to start any trouble or to try and sell the car. I thought by saving the car it would be a good thing not a debate on what someone will give me for it. I am just not that familiar with these cars and needed some info. I think by saving this car from the crusher is a good thing period. I would hope anyone with a love of any type of cars would have done the same. Personally I like the car and will either fix it or sell it to someone who can appreciate it the way i do. I would never tell anyone I do not like their car because i like all older cars and appreciate them all.
Old Jul 20th, 07, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarnut View Post
I didnt post the question to start any trouble or to try and sell the car. I thought by saving the car it would be a good thing not a debate on what someone will give me for it. I am just not that familiar with these cars and needed some info. I think by saving this car from the crusher is a good thing period. I would hope anyone with a love of any type of cars would have done the same. Personally I like the car and will either fix it or sell it to someone who can appreciate it the way i do. I would never tell anyone I do not like their car because i like all older cars and appreciate them all.
if anyone looked at the link i posted in my very first post ..they would have seen I copy pasted the entire paragraph geez I also didnt say I dont like your car. I owned a 81 camaro for many years wish i still had it. What i said was PERSONALY I dont like the look ( convertible) among other reason's (safety) personal tatse that is all.Fix that baby up and enjoy it or sell it to the guy on nasty he would love to have it as you know
Old Jul 20th, 07, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
I never said it did ! I simply copied the paragraph from the link I posted,right below the picture.Personaly I wouldnt give a nickel for that car for many reason's,mostly I dont like the look
Wasnt meant as a stab at you Mike.The point of the post is its a rare car and whats it worth.As I said using your copy and paste rare doesnt always = valuable.

Last edited by 67 Plum; Jul 20th, 07 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement