Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

Old Aug 16th, 07, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

Default Edelbrock Carb Vacuum Hookups

I just wanted to pass on a little info I came across after watching a dvd that came with my new Edelbrock Thunder Series carb. Now this may not apply to everyone, but it certainly helped my engine. This info pertains to the vacuum ports on the front and back of the carb. I have a 350 with an automatic tranny and I was always under the assumption that the transmission vacuum line attached to the port on the manifold just behind the rear of the carb base. Well according the Edelbrock the tranny vacuum hose goes to the drivers side port on the front of the carb and the vacuum for the distributor goes on the passenger side. I plugged the port in the manifold that used to provide vacuum to the tranny. The car has better throttle response off idle now and the tranny downshifts into passing gear more effectively now also. Like I said, everyone with an Edelbrock carb may not benefit from these changes, but I certainly did. Just a thought I felt I should pass on.
Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 07, 03:12 PM
Banned

Ron

Default Re: Edelbrock Carb Vacuum Hookups

The drivers side port on the front of the carb is "full" manifold vacuum so it would be the same as if attaching the tranny vacuum line to the port on the manifold, behind the rear of the carb base.
Old Aug 16th, 07, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech

Charlie

You may be right, but It may be more or less than that particular port because my car is shifting better.
Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Old Aug 16th, 07, 03:35 PM
Banned

Ron

Just curious as to what your vacuum readings are at the rear of the manifold and on drivers side of carb?
Old Aug 17th, 07, 04:16 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

On the rear I was getting 11-12hg. On the front I am only picking up 6-8hg. Im not really sure if this really makes a difference, but on my particular vehicle it's made a difference.
Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

To what would you attribute the difference in vacuum readings?
Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

Perhaps the routing of the vacuum. Its passage may be designed in such a way to allow for less at the nipple. With the port by the rear of the carb in the manifold, it is a direct opening and a larger hole than the one in the carb. That is the only thing I can see as to why it would make a difference, but with my car it definately did.
Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:38 AM
Team Member

Ted

I don't know the differences between the Thunder series and the Performer which I have. But my vacuum lines are hooked up this way: drivers side valve cover to the front middle port of the carb, tranny to rear intake manifold port and the dist. to the front pass. side of the carb. That's the way it was when I bought the car. Does that sound right or am I messed up?
Old Aug 17th, 07, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

The vacuum present at the driver's side port on an Edelbrock carb should be exactly the same as the rear port, which is the same as the vacuum in the manifold. There is no flow involved, both points are connected directly to the intake plenum.
Old Aug 17th, 07, 10:49 AM
Team Member

Jan

There's quiet an easy way to sort it out. Take a peak at http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ech_vids.shtml
They helped me out. Can't really say it performed better, but I have no excuse to complain now. Everything attached to my carb is according to their tech videos.
Old Aug 17th, 07, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

You are correct Swedish. The way I explained my hook up to now be is the exact way Edelbrock suggests. Like I said, everyone may not benefit from the switch, but my car did.
Old Aug 18th, 07, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
the vacuum for the distributor goes on the passenger side.
I'm curious what you have for vacuum at idle on this port? Ported vacuum to the distributer gives you vac. advance as soon as the throttle plates open but nothing at idle, might explain the better throttle response.

Jeff
Old Aug 19th, 07, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech

Charlie

It is possible, but an Edelbrock tech I talked to said that I should try both ports and see which one the car responded to better. After watching the tech video that came with my new carb I switched it to the passenger side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement