Steering wheel/horn button install help. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Old Sep 3rd, 07, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech

Chris

Question Steering wheel/horn button install help.

I just finished my interior up on my 69. All I have left is installing the steering wheel and horn components. My car originally had a deluxe wheel but alot of the horn parts were missing. I have a comfort grip wheel I want to install. My car doesn't have a tilt column either. I have removed the old wheel and am ready to install the new one.

I have enclosed a couple of pics of what parts I have. I have an assembly manual but I can't make heads or tails of it so maybe someone can explain to me how to install this correctly.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 07, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Steering wheel/horn button install help.

This is a scan from the 1971 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. What they are calling a "cushion rim" steering wheel has the hub molded directly into the steering wheel itself. I am not sure if you are calling the "cushion rim" steering wheel the one you have pictured. The steering wheel pictured has a separate hub.

The white plastic piece in your pictures is the horn contact. On locking steering columns it should be installed inside the steering column itself (right under the metal locking plate).

You may have pictures of some parts that were designed to work with the pre 1969 non-locking steering columns.

Here is a scan of the standard (non-adjustable) steering wheel from the Corvette AIM but I am quite sure that it is the same for your Camaro.

JIML82
Old Sep 5th, 07, 02:34 AM
Senior Tech

Chris

Thanks. Mine is like the botttom picture with the seperate hub that bolts to the wheel.

My horn contact doesn't have a groove inside the tube where the eyelet and insulator go. Seems like some pics I have seen show a groove in their sfor the rubber piece to lock in their. Kinda like a taillight bulb. Does my horn contact need to have this?

The horn contact I have is the one used on the hard plastic deluxe type wheel.
Old Sep 5th, 07, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech

On a GM locking steering column (1969 and later), the plastic horn contact (with the plastic tower for the eyelet, insulator, and spring) is inside the steering column head. It is underneath the lock plate with just the tower sticking through. That tower sticks through the steering wheel hub. The upper horn contact should be held in place to the hub by three screws.

I still suspect that some of your parts could be from a pre-1969 steering column.

JIML82
Old Sep 8th, 07, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIML82 View Post
On a GM locking steering column (1969 and later), the plastic horn contact (with the plastic tower for the eyelet, insulator, and spring) is inside the steering column head. It is underneath the lock plate with just the tower sticking through. That tower sticks through the steering wheel hub. The upper horn contact should be held in place to the hub by three screws.

I still suspect that some of your parts could be from a pre-1969 steering column.

JIML82
My white plastic horn contact was under the lock plate. But there isn't any grooves in it where the plastic insulator goes. I don't see how to get the insulator in the end of it due to the insulator having tabs sticking out on it and no grooves in the contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement