Team Camaro Tech banner

3M seam sealer differences - product review

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RicocheT25 
#1 ·
These are just my observations of two of 3M's seam sealers after using both products. I applied both products this week in similar conditions to the same surfaces.

08500 All Around Auto Body Sealant

08505 Fast 'N Firm Seam Sealer

If you read what 3M says about each, you can better decide which one works for your application(s). The only reason I used both was because I bought them at different times from two different places and didn't realize the part numbers were different until this week. Also, they're readily available off the shelf almost anywhere.

I used them to fill\seal seams under the car before undercoating. The white 08500 can be worked like a putty, with a wet finger, but it's very thin and drips easily. It dries pretty hard and will end up as smooth as you want. (sort of like POR putty)
I didn't always smooth it with wet fingers but it still layed nice. 08500 seems to shrink more than I'd have liked though.

The 08505 product was lot stiffer coming out of the gun and didn't seem to be as forgivable while working it into the areas I wanted to seal. It's tan in color like Liquid Nails. 08505 is more goopy and sticky, yet it seemed to be more difficult to make 'stick' to different surfaces. Figure that one out. Maybe it was the shop temperature which was only 10 degrees lower than when I applied the 08500 sealer. Still it was above 55 degrees both times. It didn't seem to matter whether I was applying it to a painted or unpainted surface. Again, your results may vary.

For smoothing a seam to hide it, say like the firewall seam, I'd have to go with 08500 white. You'd be able to make that seam disappear. The 08505 product is more for gooping up a gap or filling a void. I'd say to just lay it out and leave it alone. Working it with a putty knife or finger makes a mess. The 08500 is very forgiving in that respect.
I can make specific observations if anyone wants more information.

This is just my observation and presented as an FYI for those that might be trying to decide which product is right for their application. There are a lot of sealer\adhesive products on the market. Use what's best for you! These just happened to be right on the shelf locally.

[ 10-02-2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: HwyStarJoe ]

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.