Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Oct 26th, 07, 08:12 AM

Question No reverse - turbo 350 tranny

Recently, I noticed that my reverse is not working. Forward gears are so, so and tranny is not automatically shifting as clean as before. Fluid looks fine. I have a 1969 with a 350. Need your expert advice. I am a learning novice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 26th, 07, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

Kyle

Default Re: No reverse - turbo 350 tranny

You're a novice and even an expert novice will tell you that automatic transmissions are tricky and most people will tell you that they take their trannies to a shop when they behave the way that yours is atm...if your tranny is original equipment i would suggest taking it to a good transmission rebuilt shop and get them to tear it apart and they will probably rebuild the whole thing rather than just fix the one problem .. because they know that once your tranny starts having problems chances are it's not to far from a complete rebuild anyway... besides while they got the dang thing a part might as well put the new parts in.

I doubt that your problem is with the torque convertor .. but while you have your tranny out ... i suggest replacing the convertor unless it has been recently replaced..

If you want to investigate a bit before taking your tranny out .. take off the tranny pan and filter ..look in the bottom of the pan... open the filter up.. see if there is any gunk (very technical term hehe) in the pan ...check for shiny things in filter and pan.

The last time i had your problem with an auto trans it was rebuild time.

Hope this helps in some way... maybe one of our tranny shop members can be of more help.
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...71/t_=88171671
Old Oct 26th, 07, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech

Charlie

Before you simply rebuild the TH350, I would seriously consider (as I will some day), replacing it with either a TH2004R or a 700R4 transmission. You will get a better hole punch and lower freeway RPM's = better gas mileage. Charlie 69 RS
Old Oct 26th, 07, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

If fluid 'looks' clean, and it is at the right level (checked warmed/hot with car on level ground) then most likely trans has internal issues from your discription.
Do you have any idea how many miles it has on it?
Pulling the pan to have a look inside is a good idea, if you know what you're looking for and are ready to fix it. Never hurts to retorque the valve body and change the filter and fluid to test for this if you do decide to drop the pan and don't find it full of "mince-meat" and shavings - might get you by a little while longer.
Otherwise it's time to head off for the trans guy and have him get involved.
Most likely it is low pressure from a worn pump causing it not to want to go into reverse and also shifting 'so so'.
But things like a leak between circuits in the valve body (from loose bolts or a warped valve body ) or even a sticking/stuck Intermediate servo can also cause these type of problems.
If you have access to a 300# test gauge, you could hook it to the Pressure Tap on the side of the trans (rearmost plug right behind the accumulator cover) and test for pressure in the 100~150 range with the trans shifted to reverse and the throttle held just above idle @1000 RPM. If you are not familiar with transmission pressure testing (and don't like working around hot oil under pressure ) then this is something a good transmission shop can ( and should ) do before tearing into it for and overhaul.

Most likely it's just run out of youth and consumable stuff inside and is ready for a rebuild ...
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Old Oct 26th, 07, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaniac View Post
Before you simply rebuild the TH350, I would seriously consider (as I will some day), replacing it with either a TH2004R or a 700R4 transmission. You will get a better hole punch and lower freeway RPM's = better gas mileage. Charlie 69 RS
This is definately a choice you may want to make.. i believe that you should be able to get an estimate (hopefully a free one) from a reputable tranny company .. than you can choose whether to rebuild or buy new and better .. maybe something with an overdrive that will give you lower rpm on the highway and better fuel economy for not much more than what you are going to pay for your rebuild. Most tranny people will tell you that they will just rebuild the whole thing once they open it up just for the repair warrantee factor .. they probably wont give you a guarantee unless they rebuild the tranny completely.

So buying a new one is definately a consideration.
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...71/t_=88171671
Old Oct 26th, 07, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Craig

Just pull through the parking spaces and you won't need the reverse...
Old Oct 26th, 07, 05:07 PM

Bob

Sounds like a bad sprag. 350 Turbos' weak link. At the drags, we used to break them when coming out of the bleach box from a burnout. Internal problem. My guess is she's gonna need to come out.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

http://www.belairbobs.com
Old Oct 29th, 07, 11:54 AM

Smile Re: No reverse - turbo 350 tranny

Thanks to all of you who responded. I plan to drop the pan, see what is in the pan, change the filter, gasket, fluid and put it back. If then, there is still the problem, I will bring it to my local tranny shop for an estimate. Thanks again to all of yawl.
humbleboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement