2000 Camaro Radio shuts off randomly as well as windows? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Old Nov 5th, 07, 03:59 PM

Default 2000 Camaro Radio shuts off randomly as well as windows?

Hi,

My wife has a 2000 v6 camaro that has a problem with the radio and power windows cutting out. Regardless if the car is moving or not the radio will shut off randomly. Sometime frequently in a thirty minute drive sometimes not at all. I have looked at wiring and thought it was that at first but, it will do it when the car is just sitting. I was checking it out the other day and I just turned the key back to listen to the radio and it cut out. Its interesting because it also effect the power windows at the same time.

I was told it could be the body control module bcm. I found some replacement ones online but, was curious as if anyone know if the BCM can just be swapped out? Or does it need some kind of programing to go with the keyless entry? I asked the local dealer and he said he doesn't think so but, didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Has anyone had this problem? If so how'd you fix it? Does anyone know the specifics on replacing the BCM?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 6th, 07, 07:10 AM
Tech Team

Dave

Smile Re: 2000 Camaro Radio shuts off randomly as well as windows?

Hello,
I worked on a car that had that same problem. The BCM was causing this. I replaced the BCM and the car has been fine. The BCM is located behind the passenger side kick panel up behind the dash. You do not need to program the BCM but you will have to reprogram your key fobs for your remote keyless entry to work. If you need the actual service manual procedures let me know and I can e-mail them to you.

Dave
Old Apr 1st, 11, 08:45 PM
Tech Team

Bob

Default Re: 2000 Camaro Radio shuts off randomly as well as windows?

An update for reference. The BCM Retained Accessory Power relay is the problem. The manual tells you to replace the BCM but you can usually just solder the 5 mounting points. The solder usually cracks and causes the problem. Look on the net for BCM remove instructions (it is up above the passengers feet) and when you get it out from under the dash it opens right up. The relay is the tallest black box on the circuit board just above a row of shorter black cubes.
Old Apr 8th, 11, 10:24 PM

chuck

I have a 2001 & I have got the same problem, also can anyone reccomend a cleaner or something to restore my convertible top, I'm almest certain that its canvas.
Old Aug 26th, 11, 09:20 PM

Lewis

Red face Re: 2000 Camaro Radio shuts off randomly as well as windows?

I have a 2000 Camaro which is doing the very same thing and looking for a DIY fix. I have had the intermediate problem and it actually stopped for a while but I have noticed that once it gets cooled off it will work for a short time until it warms up. I think I will try the relay fix that was mentioned in previous thread. Sounds like there could be issues by changing out the BCM. Can someone tell me something that will make me more comfortable about changing it if the relay fix doesn't work. Does anyone have a procedure for that fix or changing the BCM?
Old Sep 2nd, 11, 11:29 PM

Ryan

I had the same problem on my 1999Z. Soldering the cracked connections on the BCM worked.

Step by step instructions:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f50/bcm-lets-fix-144674/
Old Jul 4th, 13, 10:59 AM

Nick

Do you have the procedures to replace the bcm and reprogram the keyless entry?

my wife just bought a camaro and her power windows dont work at all and her radio works sometimes and sometimes it dont but i found out if i put pressure on the passenger side kick panel it cuts back on so i figure it must be the bcm yall are talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement