Team Camaro Tech banner

Paint Your Car Online - Using Your Computer

15K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mud Rat 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever wonder what your car would look like in a different color ? Don't have the $$$ to repaint it just to find out ? Neither do I.

However, there is a very interesting shareware program online called
(((( Paint.net )))) It is an excellent and yet inexpensive photo editor that you can download for free---however they do recommend a $10.00 donation, which I gave when I realized how good this program was. Simply search it out via a Yahoo search for Paint.net, then download.

Below are a few samples I created of my own Camaro. My car is currently PPG Hugger Orange, with a black oversized hockey stripe, chased with a 1/4" stripe around the outer edge---done in PPG Platinum. Looks like chrome in the sun.

The program allows you to change the hue and saturation of the color. I've provided some wild examples, like the lime green. However, you can mute that green and give it a more subtle look, as I did with the other green example. Also, check out the pencil sketch as well---would make a neet post card !!!

This program is a fun tool for the computer, but could also assist someone out there that can't decide on what color they want to paint their car. They could take various pics of other cars and adjust the color until they get close to what they want.

Oh---and one side effect---it'll change the color of your lawn as well.

Enjoy---Lance in Mesa, AZ

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Joe,
I tried to work a little with the pick of your '67 and came up with the following. I think the program requires a slightly more pixelated type format in order to get the effect of the drawing that I did on mine.

However, it does give you a slightly more artsy-fartsy shot of your '67.

Feel free to use for Christmas cards----LOL.

Lance

#6 · (Edited)
JOE,
Your car was fun to work with, especially with that Candy Apple red depth you've got going on. Nice color choice for this year. I like seeing people step out of the box when it comes to paint.

I think you'll appreciate the Cobalt blue and possibly the copper color. I'm personally a fan of greens. Your car came out a little bright in greeen, but that's just the way the program runs.

The first pictured red one is your original color.

I had to reduce the pics a little for them to all download. But I think you get the color idea anyway.

Enjoy-----Lance in Mesa, AZ

#7 ·
The blue next to the orginal color (Prowler Orange) looks like a color i was thinking of painting it. Lazer Blue from GM. The color next to that is what the car looks like in shadows or low light and no sun out but not dark out eighter. The Prowler Orange really changes up from what you see and that bronze color.

I love that bright green, that's almost a Rally Green and I thought of maybe going witha color simular to this color......I was just not brave enough to do it.

I love the Teal Color and that would have been hard choice of between what I have now and that color!! My color being and OEM Color made it way cheaper to buy that some custom colors though.

Thanks!! They look great. Maybe someone will get the nerve to go with that green. It would look very cool I think.

#9 ·
You may want to see if it installed in your Programs list----via the start button. When I downloaded----it went in without a glitch.

Also, since this is "shareware", it didn't make a difference if I contributed or not, as I tried the program first, then went back and gave them a $10 donation----so we can rule out the donation factor.

Other thing to consider is whether you are running Window XP, etc. I have XP and I think their program is set to run with that----but not sure if capable with Vista or even a lower level such as Windows '98.

I'm no techy---so only real advice I can offer is keep trying and if all else fails, check their forums column.

Lance in Mesa, AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.